Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 10-30-2013, 03:10 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road
Default Can a Kole Tang and Yellow Tang get along

Does anyone have a yellow tang and kole tang in the same tank?

I have a kole tang and foxface in my downstairs tank, and they have done a wonderful job of keeping the tank clean from algae. But upstairs, I only have a yellow tang for algae grazing, and he can't seem to keep up. So I am thinking of moving my kole into the upstairs tank.

However, my yellow tang has not been kind to newcomers in the past. I have added butterfly fish and he harassed them mercilessly for the 1st 2 weeks. And yes, I used all the tricks to distract him, like pics taped to the side of the tank, and it did work to some degree. But after 2 weeks, he settled down, and would leave them alone. Although even today, he will still occasionally make a lunge at my Pearlescale, as if to say, get out of my way.

I've had the Kole for over a year now, and looks strong and healthy. I am hoping that he might be fast enough that he can avoid the Yellow. But on the other hand, would hate to lose a beautiful fish, and such a hard worker.

What do you guys think? Has anyone had success keeping both in the same tank?
Old 10-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

I've had the two kept in a 120 together without any problems for three yrs now. The yellow is a bit larger than the kole and I have seen the occasional skirmish at first but that didn't last long.
ATI 48" 3x75W LED with 8x54W T5, 2xTunze 6105, 2 x Maxspect Gyre XF150, Bubble King Mini 200 ( soon to be replaced by a Bubble King SM 200), Eheim 1262, Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium heater, JBJ ATO, Apex Controller
Old 10-30-2013, 03:25 PM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

I have a yellow and kole tang in my 90g for years. No issues.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:45 PM

Taipan is on a distinguished road

I think you may have alluded to your answer.

It's possible for these 2 tangs to get along despite similar(ish) body types. A lot have people have done it. However since your yellow tang is already the 'alpha' in the established display upstairs; it may not take too kindly to the Kole Tang.

Conversely; you may have a better chance if you introduced the yellow tang downstairs as it is a new environment for it. I know...that's not the point.

Prepare for some bullying and monitor to see if it gets out of hand. The kole tang would generally be more docile when compared to the yellow tang.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:38 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I too have a kole tang with a yellow tang. No problems at all between the two. The problem is with the kole tang and blenny. The kole tang is constantly attacking my sailfn blenny.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:42 PM

LoJack is on a distinguished road

In my last tank I also had a Kole and Yellow together.

In my new tank I've got a blue eyed tang (near identical to a kole tang) and a purple tang (more aggressive than a yellow tang with identical body shape) and even they get along.

Feed when you introduce to distract the yellow ... they should be fine after the initial introduction.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 PM

Well, that is encouraging. For those that have both in the same tank, was the Kole added after the Yellow?

I should also mention that a few years ago I added a Scopas Tang in with the Yellow and it ended in disaster. The Scopas was dead in 3 hours. So that is why I am so cautious. And like I said, he really doesn't like Butterfly fish, but fortunately they are pretty quick, and he couldn't corner them.

Also my Yellow Tang is pretty large, 5+ inches, or more than twice the size of the Kole. Not sure if that is good or bad. Maybe good, in that the Kole will be able to escape into the rocks where the Yellow can't follow. But if the Yellow ever corners him, he could be in trouble pretty quickly.

Of course I would watch them, and try to net out the Kole if he gets into serious trouble. And will be taping the pics to the sides of the tank, where the Kole might retreat to. That did seem to work with the Butterfly fish.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:52 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I think the problem is the yellow tang. He sounds like an a$$hole.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:15 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

I have a Kole and a yellow tang in my 90 g with no problems, the kole sometimes goes after my cleaner shrimp when they are eating, weird!!
Old 10-30-2013, 11:22 PM

My Kole Tang is generally pretty peaceful, and have never seen him go after any fish, incl Blennies. But occasionally he does peck at my cleaner shrimp's antennae, almost as if he is trying to clean it. Looks kind of weird actually, and the cleaner shrimp doesn't seem to get overly concerned about it either. He just withdraws the antennae for a second, but doesn't move otherwise, and the Kole moves on.

But again, those who have both, which one was in the tank first?

Last edited by Reef Pilot; 10-30-2013 at 11:28 PM.