Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-12-2010, 08:40 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

I would lean towards a pistol shrimp, I used to own one of the regular big guys that I named Jamal, he actually ate his shrimp partner . He would rearrange everything and would aggressively attack me when I went to reaquascape the tank.

Any random clicking coming from the tank Chelsea?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:46 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Instead of a bottle trap try a tall drinking glass with a chunk of food (uncooked shrimp) in the bottom of it at lights out. Put it at an angle so that nothing can crawl out of it. Works for crabs, worms well
Old 08-12-2010, 08:47 PM

Trabby is on a distinguished road

Jamal?! Roflmao ughhh .. I haven't heard any clicking... But I will certainly be listening. What could I do to determine if that is indeed what it is? Did you buy your or did he hitch a ride in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
I would lean towards a pistol shrimp, I used to own one of the regular big guys that I named Jamal, he actually ate his shrimp partner . He would rearrange everything and would aggressively attack me when I went to reaquascape the tank.

Any random clicking coming from the tank Chelsea?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:31 PM

mytank90 is on a distinguished road

try useing a red light to look in your tank after all the lights go off .it doesnt bother your fish any you will be surprised at what you will seei used a brake light from my bike and over about a week looking at different times found 3 crabs that where moveing stuff around
Old 08-12-2010, 10:55 PM

JonT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabby View Post
OMG!!!! Thanks for that JonT.... That is indeed a monster!! How did you find and catch yours?? Better not be what I got going on or.... YOU may have to come catch it for me
Been a while since I have been on Alberta soil, if your paying the airfare, I will come! LOL

I got lucky, the lights on my tank go out 30 min before I get ready for bed. Wife beat me to the washroom one night, so, I watched the night life in the tank. Then there it was. Still partly under the rock, but stretched out about 18 inches or so. I have a pair of 20" tweezers grabbed on tight enough to hold him. Then had to decide, break it, or try my luck and gently pull it out.

Attached is what happens when you touch one....

Old 08-13-2010, 03:53 PM

kevNnic is on a distinguished road

bristle worm of death? glad you got it. things like that creep me out!
Old 08-13-2010, 03:59 PM

Wingin It is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabby View Post
Should I set up a bottle trap in the area this evening?!
I would! LOL Creepy is right!
Old 08-20-2010, 05:33 PM

Trabby is on a distinguished road

Well there's been a few developments over the last couple days.... Two separate attempts to bait monster turned up nothing but stranded hermit crabs.....
So then the other night... I'm on the phone.. Gazing into the tank ... And mention the menace in the tank.... No sooner did I say it... I'm having a fit because there is this HUGE crab running along the back wall with a piece of rubble.. He took cover under zoa mountain ....Aka the scene of the crime
Then again yesterday while visiting with a fellow reefer ... I bring up this crab, well low and behold two minutes later he spots the damn thing... Running with a chunk of rubble... Grrrrrr..... Bad crab..... That's where my small frag of zombie eyes gas gone .... Grrr

So aside from ripping everything apart ... I don't know how to catch him....
Any ideas? Maybe I'm not patient enough...

Oh a little more on this freak..... I looked on chucksaddiction....
Possibly Xanthid, or mithrax ... Quarter / loonie size... Still need a closer look...
Old 08-20-2010, 06:01 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

All crabs are bad. KILL IT!!! If you can't capture it, try a long skewer, (like those kind you use to truss up a turkey) to spear it. Good Luck.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:39 PM

JonT is on a distinguished road

Since you know where its lair is, just bait it. Or, be ready, and drop a net in front of it next time it is out shopping for new rocks in your tank. If it is running the back glass, you should be able to set something up during the day.