Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 03-08-2012, 01:08 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Marie, I had thought about the reds earlier, and I think I can supplement red very easily for less money. I think. Ok, I made it up, but it seems sound
Old 03-08-2012, 01:14 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
After reading all the numerous threads on the subject, I think I will buy the Radions when I can save up the money.
I have been searching for a light that won't make all the reds in my tank look like dried blood for the last 10 yrs (ever since I switched from vho to MH's) and have spent 100's of dollars trying different metal halide bulbs without success.
I think with the addition of the red and green bulbs, radions will finally achieve that

That was the deciding factor for me the green and red leds made all the colors pop. Im going with radions.

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 03-08-2012, 01:14 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Marie, I had thought about the reds earlier, and I think I can supplement red very easily for less money. I think. Ok, I made it up, but it seems sound

You probably can but I'm not even going to try and attempt anything DIY........ I am the plug in play queen if it requires me to read an instruction book to put it together then I don't want it. That's why I like my BK skimmer it didn't even come with an instruction book

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 03-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
You probably can but I'm not even going to try and attempt anything DIY........ I am the plug in play queen if it requires me to read an instruction book to put it together then I don't want it. That's why I like my BK skimmer it didn't even come with an instruction book
I'm not gonna DIY. I'll pay Garreth at ProReef
Old 03-08-2012, 01:17 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by subman View Post
That was the deciding factor for me the green and red leds made all the colors pop. Im going with radions.
Makes sense. Although, when I saw a AI tank, I didn't notice colors lacking..might have to look again.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:21 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Makes sense. Although, when I saw a AI tank, I didn't notice colors lacking..might have to look again.

When you do go look check the red coralline algae, that's what tends to look the worst under the wrong lights it looks like dried blood.

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 03-08-2012, 01:23 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
When you do go look check the red coralline algae, that's what tends to look the worst under the wrong lights it looks like dried blood.
I don't think I have any red coralline
Old 03-08-2012, 02:24 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Marko, I'm not a photographer, took me a while to figure out my camera settings once I added the vertex illuminex on my smaller tank. If you could tell me what settings to use, I will take a pic of my set up tomorrow as they are now almost off for the night. I saw the ai's on Daves tank at concept and seeing ai's side by side I chose the radions as I liked the overall look and could see a huge difference in spread and the disco lighting uncle salty is speaking of. I felt I would have needed 4 ai's to the 3 radions. I'm also no expert in lighting spectrums so cant speak to this argument, I don't have any controllers or fancy equipment, therefore my layout costs for lights would have been fairly close. I only transferred everything this weekend so I can't speak to coral growth either, time will tell. Bottom line, everyone has a choice and those with specific lights will rave about how great theirs are. I'm sure a better product will follow these as the technology continues to improve and the ai's and radions will be surpassed by something greater, cheaper and cooler soon enough.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:31 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yep, ModularLed has a red/green supplemental combo kit for cheap.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:40 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lots of videos on Youtube with tanks running Ai's and Radions. None of them look any less or more colorful than the other. Seeing them in person is the only way to really decide, as what is aesthetically pleasing to one may not be to another. I've seen both set up in person and I can't really see much of a difference, they both make the tanks look great. Radion have more programming possibilities if that's your thing, the AI's are good if you just want the basics such as dusk/dawn ramping, intensity control and lunar simulation. I guess they both have lightening storms as well but that just gimmicky to me.