Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-19-2009, 07:42 AM

fraggalrock is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to fraggalrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
Pods have arrived! I am now back from Florida and have the Pods now available for those that contacted me looking for them. I will see if I can PM all of you.

The Pods will live for weeks in the jars.

Ian
Oh Ian that is great! when can we meet up?
1 Adorable Yorkie "Tsao Mei"
1 Very cute Himalayan Kitten "Blueberry"
Old 10-20-2009, 12:13 AM

Whiskey is on a distinguished road

If there are any extra let me know; I'm interested
Old 10-20-2009, 12:57 AM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road

Anyone in Calgary know where to get them?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

we have some in stock, and have a some coming later this week also in Edmonton.

This will be ONGOING live foods etc... replenished weekly.

Ken

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 10-20-2009, 07:00 AM
Vendor

Red Coral Aquariums is on a distinguished road

We carry both the

Tigger Pods
http://www.reefnutrition.com/tiggerpods.html
and
DT's Copepods
http://www.dtplankton.com/copepods.html

You can see the tigger pods moving in the jar and can watch them feed on rotifers and plankton.

Kevin
Old 10-20-2009, 05:28 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Just out of curousity, what are you using these for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM99 View Post
Any suggestions? All I can find is tigger pods - anyone in Canada sell other kinds? The US places I have checked won't ship across the border.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 PM

Reef-Geek is on a distinguished road

has anyone tried this? Will it be ok for my mandarin?
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ct_ID=rm-tp006
Old 09-29-2010, 06:27 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo43 View Post
has anyone tried this? Will it be ok for my mandarin?
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ct_ID=rm-tp006
This thread is old, but I will offer my opinion anyways. Tigger-Pods are not a suitable food source for mandarins. Your Mandarin may eat them (if he can catch them), but in most cases this is not a sustainable solution. You will spend a lot of money replenishing your stock.

Mandarins like to pick off the rocks, while Tigger-Pods are largely free swimming. The real problem with Tigger-Pods is that they get blown around by the flow in our tanks and very quickly end up in the skimmer or dead by way of powerhead/return pump.

My suggestion - buy a bottle and dump it in your sump. Check hourly and watch as the population drops. By the next day they will be hard to spot. Within a couple of days, they will be gone.

There are exceptions. If your display tank is very low flow (ie. seahorses) it might work. Although it's still not an ideal food source for Mandarins.

Read this thread - http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60578

- Brad
Old 09-29-2010, 07:05 PM

Reef-Geek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcha0s View Post
This thread is old, but I will offer my opinion anyways. Tigger-Pods are not a suitable food source for mandarins. Your Mandarin may eat them (if he can catch them), but in most cases this is not a sustainable solution. You will spend a lot of money replenishing your stock.

Mandarins like to pick off the rocks, while Tigger-Pods are largely free swimming. The real problem with Tigger-Pods is that they get blown around by the flow in our tanks and very quickly end up in the skimmer or dead by way of powerhead/return pump.

My suggestion - buy a bottle and dump it in your sump. Check hourly and watch as the population drops. By the next day they will be hard to spot. Within a couple of days, they will be gone.

There are exceptions. If your display tank is very low flow (ie. seahorses) it might work. Although it's still not an ideal food source for Mandarins.

Read this thread - http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60578

- Brad
Unfortunately I don't have a sump, and I just got a green mandarin. In this case which live pod food should I buy then?
I have a red sea max 34g and about 40lbs of rock, how long can the mandarin survive before I found new food?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:28 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Don,t bother with tiger pod as they are always free swimming and get grabbed by powerhead, skimmer and coral if you have coral that eat plankton.

For your mandarin, get some masago. Those are the little orange eggs that you can find on sushi. They are caplan eggs. You can buy a little quantity from a sushi restaurant to test it. Both my mandarin love these eggs and Hikari frozen bloodworms.

Mandarin eat fish eggs in the wild so their chance of picking at the fish roe (masago) is very very good.

I have trained 2 mandarins easily that way. Another thing that my mandarins love is live white worms. They are easy to culture. They are rich though, so only 2 times per week NO MORE.

The regular copepods is what you want to see a refugium but if you have a sterile low nutriment aquarium you will lack in copepods in no time. Pods need phytoplankton to survive and a safe place to reproduce. It is best that you train your mandarin to eat frozen. Start with the fish roe, easy enough. Mandarin eat the little copepods but their favorite are the isopods. Those are not available for sale that I know of. Copepods are tiny and you will have to buy tons of them if you are not prepair to train your fish.

I kept my mandarin alive and fat for 6 months in a 21 gallons before I moved him and his little girlfriend into my 75 gallons. So with good food he can live in there for a long time no problem, but don't rely on pods only, this is a sure way to fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo43 View Post
Unfortunately I don't have a sump, and I just got a green mandarin. In this case which live pod food should I buy then?
I have a red sea max 34g and about 40lbs of rock, how long can the mandarin survive before I found new food?

Last edited by daniella3d; 09-29-2010 at 09:32 PM.