Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-14-2015, 09:17 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy00 View Post
Lookin good. You have some nice coral hiding in there
thank you wish I had a better came so I could show some of them off.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:51 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

small update , had bought 3 green banded goby's and 3 barnacle blennys a few months back . Bought them all together had them in quarantine for about 2-3 months they all got along fine in the 16g qt tank. Bought a boxfish for my birthday brought him home , so I decided the other 6 fish were all healthy never had any signs of anything they all ate the same day I got them so I moved them from the qt into this system as I needed the qt for the boxfish .
SO everything is fine the boxfish is doing great eating, no ich ever on him . Went to feed my tank and noticed the greenbanded goby's were beat up all 3 of them when I first got them I thought I had 2 males and 1 female by looking at the dorsal fins the males are suppose to have a tall fin with a longer point and females have no point , so I rolled the dice and kept them together as the males are suppose to not get along . There is not a ton of info on the green banded goby's but I figured with the bigger tank and they are small fish they might co-exist . Apparently not so I tore my tank apart to catch all three they have what looks like nipped fins , bite marks on the body and white specs on there fins . Now when I look at them I cant tell if I have 3 males or 2 males and a female so going to keep them seperated until I can for sure tell.

Next thing I catch my boxfish in the qt he had been in there since oct 16 so almost a month he was in perfect health so I have him floating in a bucket of water . Put the 3 green banded goby's back into qt in breeding containers to seperate them until they heal up they are all still eating and almost back to normal . However The next morning turn my lights on and my boxfish is now covered in ich his tank mates include my Clowns , a mandarin , the 3 barnacle blenny's , a red/yellow banded pipe and thats it for fish and my old reef is still plumbed into the same sump as the tank with my boxfish but it only houses a candy basslett and 2 mated black/white banded pipes . None of the other fish are effected by the ich just the boxfish I may have seen a couple specs on the barnacle blennys but they are clean now. SO I decided to ride it out as I dont like using treatments I always believed the fish will pull through if its healthy . I have had my clowns for about 8 years and they never got anything on them and they are my main concern as I have had them for so long . The Boxfish never quit eating and its about the 4th day since this happened and he is clearing up nice and Im not worried about anything dying just more wanted to share the experience as even with the qt process the fish still got ich I assume its from fighting and then they got it . Before that I have not added any fish for for over 5 years as I never wanted to jeopardize the health of the fish I had been keeping for a long period I always knew I needed another boxfish and always wanted some barnacle blennys so I took the chance having set up a nice little qt figured I would add the remaining fish I wanted . Plus I want a qt for my corals as well.

I always dip my new corals in rx and look over them with a mag glass as I know zoa eating nudis can survive the dip and I fought them off about a year ago lost some expensive zoa's. I had bought a blasto colony form a lfs here it looked in decent health it had a couple dead skeletons on the piece but figured there was enough that it would be alright and it was a really nice blasto . Put it in my tank after a dip and it was doing fine for a week or so and then I noticed a bit of damage starting and next thing you now my other blast colony I grew out for over a year just starting dying nothing else in the tank was effected so I was reading about infections and Im putting the problem on an infection as nothing else was effected and nothing else had been added . So now Im leaving my corals in qt for a month minimum . On the good side I still have my original colony of blasto's and there are some small baby plyps and a big one that is healing so the piece should survive and the piece I added has 1 small remaining polyp so hopefully I can at least get them growing again but even after 12 years reefing you can still get owned by the fish god's .

Im in no way saying not to use a qt, I will still continuing to qt all fish and corals but you can still get ich even without it coming in on a fish , my fish fought and were damaged and ended up with it I should have moved the box into my fowlr tank when I removed the GB gobys but I never thought it was ich I just thought it was damage from fighting . I dont think any deaths will result from this KNOCK ON WOOD but its still scary when you have 5+ year old fish you have been caring for .
Old 11-15-2015, 10:12 PM

AquaAddict is on a distinguished road

Congrats for getting your fish thru the ich and surviving. In my experience, a marine fish is either healthy or dead.

AquaAddict