Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Reef Wholesale > Hanna Instruments

Old 06-24-2011, 11:22 PM

tdorey is on a distinguished road
Default Disappointed with Chekcers

I needed new test kits so I decided to try out the new Hanna checkers. I purchased two kits form www.canadareef.com

The two kits arrived, The phosphate kit only had 6 reagents. and the bottles did not have screw caps. $50+ test kit for 6 tests? So a few things may of happened.

1. Hanna charges too much for 6 tests.

2. Hanna quality did not check the test kit had enough reagents before leaving dist center.

3. The Vendor took out some of the reagents and changed up the bottles before sending to me.

Emails to both the vendor and Hanna didn't really help. The Vendor said thanks for the feedback and they will check with Hanna.

What should of happened is the vendor should of told me how many tests the kits do and send me the difference along with the proper screw top bottles. So I am not blaming 100% Hanna or the vendor but I am not happy with the purchase.

Some product advice not related to the quality, the powder reagent for the phosphate checker in the pouches are very hard to use. I would recommend you make pills, spoon or a liquid.

The syringe for the liquid reagent with the Alk test kit doesn't work very well. You are suppose to suck up 1ML, but when you remove the syringe it drips out and doesn't hold the liquid well. I would replace the rubber tip with a screw on tip so it holds the liquids better.

Any Advice?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

My po4 checker came with the lids. I knew it only had a few tests in it, pretty sure it states that somewhere on their site. Thats why I added a 25 pk of reagents for 10 bucks to my order.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:42 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Mine didn't come with screw lids either and only had 6 tests too. I have had it over a year now and love it. Honestly I find not having screw lids is not a big deal.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:52 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Hanna's website states that only 6 test reagents are included with the tester so you didn't get ripped off. You are not paying $50 for 6 tests, you are paying $50 for the electronic testing equipment with 6 samples, they sell the reagents seperately for much cheaper. The website also only states that caps are supplied but it doesn't specify screw on ones so I hope you at least got some type of cap.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:30 AM

doch is on a distinguished road

I absolutely love mine!! Sure, they only come with 6 tests, but the refills are cheaper. I hope they make them for all test parameters.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 06-25-2011, 03:56 AM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

I got 6 tests and caps.

But ya, it's not a rip off. You pay for the tester unit. Refills are extra.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:15 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdorey View Post
1. Hanna charges too much for 6 tests.

2. Hanna quality did not check the test kit had enough reagents before leaving dist center.

3. The Vendor took out some of the reagents and changed up the bottles before sending to me.

Any Advice?
It sounds like your vendor screwed you over not Hana.
Point #1 - A non issue as others have stated, the base test kit only comes with 6.
Point #2 - Again, a non-issue. Only 6 are supplied and the caps are push in, not screw caps.
Point #3 - Again, sounds like your vendor screwed you.

The savings come into play when you continue to use the hana checker and buy 25 test reagents for $8-$10, instead of buying a whole new test kit (API/Salifert/Elos/etc..) for $30-$50.

Aside from your issues with your vendor, did you find the test kit useful?
Old 06-25-2011, 05:23 AM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

They may have changed caps as mine are screw on...
Old 06-25-2011, 09:33 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

I JUST bought mine, a couple weeks ago (phosphate). It came with 6 tests and a 'plug' style lid. No complaints so far, accurate and works great! Yeah there is a learning curve with the first couple tests, but as is the case with any other type of kit.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 06-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Banned

spawn is on a distinguished road

I couldn'tbe happier with purchasing the hanna kits. Mine had push in capps & only 6 flaps of powder. But it's totally worth it when you read 0.00 instead of looking at some indesernable color. I can't wait to have my Ca test & who cares it's only $50 bucks.