Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-28-2011, 08:02 PM

msjboy is on a distinguished road

I have a gbta ( it has split 3 times, hasn't ventured off anywhere ) and its pretty good except the tentacles are not bubbled up... I have read this means they are trying to get as much light as possible. My tank is a RSM 130 with stock PC lights. Thinkin of getting a RBTA myself but I am concerned about in adequate stock lighting.

BYW, anyone have small recently split RBTA for trade or sale anytime soon?
I am going to get a supplement LED lighting bar ( ecoxotic one ) next week.
msjboy
Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 PM

Reefgoat is on a distinguished road

You might consider supplementing the t5's with a strip of royal blue leds. That way you could free up 1 or 2 of the actinic bulbs.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
Toss actinic and go with the newer style. Blue plus is one. By ati I think. They put out more useful spectrum as well as give actinic look. A few out there.
I am using ati bulbs on my 75g sps tank now with LEDs and trust them because of the par and longevity. When I said atinics I did mean blue plus which is what the fixture has...

To the OP that mentioned led, I have also considered this option but if I am going to run led then no reason to run the t5 also as the cost would be double. I can run 12 crees for $100 or run t5 fixture and led for $150, all led would be better of an option for me!

Also MSJ I think that an anemone can be kept under pc or t5 but as mentioned before I want to make sure the coral does not fade from not receiving enough light, 1 more thing to add my RBTA was not bubble tip when I received it, it was only when I introduced my clownfish which took bites into the tentacles that the tentacles turned bubble. The only problem I am facing now is an ugly box in my 75g where the anemone is held, can't release it as my tank is fully stocked with sps. If I put it into the 50g it falls a meal to the lionfish and I don't really want to separate them.... Ahh what to do???

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 12-30-2011, 09:18 PM

imcosmokramer is on a distinguished road

I'm looking to switch the light over my anemone tank to LEDs as well.

LET HE WHO HAS MADE NO MISTAKES CAST THE FIRST LIVE ROCK.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:36 PM

Money pit is on a distinguished road

I've kept BTAs under NO T8s . The key is to feed them in a low light situation. If you have adequate light for your corals the BTA should be ok, if not then feed it.