Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 03-22-2009, 08:39 AM

richtg is on a distinguished road
Angry WTB new-ish Sedra 5000 (Calgary)

Looking for a Sedra KSP-5000 with needle wheel (for my ASM G3).

I want the old style bigger version if possible (it has the half-round on one side and a handle.

My impeller swelled and melted itself into the housing.
90gal Starfire mixed reef, 400W MH (Giesemann 13K megachrome/Icecap E-ballast), (2) 54W T5 Giesemann true actinic, 45gal sump (65W 50/50 PC), ASM G-3 Skimmer, Mak 4 return, Sequence Dart closed loop, foam backdrop, 120 lbs LR, 2" sandbed, & 1 dillhole running the show.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:41 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

I looked for quite awhile, I think for the price you would be better off getting one off Wendal at Ocean Aquatics.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:52 PM

new but handy is on a distinguished road

The impeller swelling is apparently a common problem with the sedras. I brought a few back from the coast for people when their impellers swelled. I brought back a few for the same people because their pump didn't last a week. On the flip side I have had one in my mixing bin for 3 months with no problem.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:20 PM

Thanks guys. I figured that I might end up buying new.

I was going to take the impeller magnet to work and try to turn it down on a lathe a few thousanths of an inch to see if that gives them more longevity. I had mine running for 5 years with no problem, and then one day - gone. I had to destroy the plastic around the impeller just to get it out!

I wonder how hot it must have got...
90gal Starfire mixed reef, 400W MH (Giesemann 13K megachrome/Icecap E-ballast), (2) 54W T5 Giesemann true actinic, 45gal sump (65W 50/50 PC), ASM G-3 Skimmer, Mak 4 return, Sequence Dart closed loop, foam backdrop, 120 lbs LR, 2" sandbed, & 1 dillhole running the show.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:49 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtg View Post
Thanks guys. I figured that I might end up buying new.

I was going to take the impeller magnet to work and try to turn it down on a lathe a few thousanths of an inch to see if that gives them more longevity. I had mine running for 5 years with no problem, and then one day - gone. I had to destroy the plastic around the impeller just to get it out!

I wonder how hot it must have got...
I had the same problem with 1 of my Sedra 9000. The impeller has what seems to be a rubber membrane over the magnet and if it develops a leak the salt water gets into the iron of the magnet and it rusts immediately. As it rusts it expands ever so slightly and then seizes within the impeller housing. I ruined the impeller trying to get it out of the housing but once out the housing seemed OK. I then bought a new impeller from OA ($50 - $60) and everything was fine.

Tom R
Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I had the same problem with 1 of my Sedra 9000. The impeller has what seems to be a rubber membrane over the magnet and if it develops a leak the salt water gets into the iron of the magnet and it rusts immediately. As it rusts it expands ever so slightly and then seizes within the impeller housing. I ruined the impeller trying to get it out of the housing but once out the housing seemed OK. I then bought a new impeller from OA ($50 - $60) and everything was fine.

Tom R
I find it harn not to consider buying a whole new pump for the extra $40. I wonder why they charge so much for the impeller...

Does anyone know if my needlewheel will fit onto the standard impeller magnet/shaft that comes with one of these pumps?