Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-14-2015, 07:54 AM
LOVES STAR WARS... mostly Ewoks and Porgs.

hunggi74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Have you added any new fish or corals/liverock lately?

What salt mix are you using? When was the last water change? Do you use RO water? When were the pre filters changed? Any idea on the TDS of the effluent?

Can you check your ammonia, nitrite and copper?

Has there been any dry cleaning or carpet cleaning done recently? Any fumigation or painting etc.
Easy Tim!! Lol! You sure you went to Hawaii and not Guantanamo?
I'm kidding! Tim is right, any chance any aerosol cleaning agents may have been used around your tank recently.
And it doesn't look like AEFW in your Revive water.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:54 AM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Have you added any new fish or corals/liverock lately?

What salt mix are you using? When was the last water change? Do you use RO water? When were the pre filters changed? Any idea on the TDS of the effluent?

Can you check your ammonia, nitrite and copper?

Has there been any dry cleaning or carpet cleaning done recently? Any fumigation or painting etc.
i added 2 fishes into my new tank b4 i swapped everything from my old tank over. and 5 more new fishes last week, but my sps were rtn before those 5 fish were added. I moved over 10-15% of live rock from my old tank over and the rest is rock that i bleached and acid bath so its super clean and cycled for 2 months b4 using. I use only RO water and filters are still relatively new.. about 2 months old filters. TDS before RO is about 11 or 12 i think and ro output is always 0ppm. My last water change was on sat cuz my hawaiian feather duster got killed by my cleaner shrimp. i did tear down some drywall while the tank was empty but it was cleaned properly and did paint the walls when the tank was running with some livestock in my fishroom but i was careful and did cover the tank. Painting was done 2 months ago so that should be ruled out. Havnt checked ammonia and dont have a kit for copper but my nitrite is 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunggi74 View Post
Easy Tim!! Lol! You sure you went to Hawaii and not Guantanamo?
I'm kidding! Tim is right, any chance any aerosol cleaning agents may have been used around your tank recently.
And it doesn't look like AEFW in your Revive water.
no aerosols been used

R u sure cuz i saw tiny oval things move slowly in circles in still water.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:25 AM
LOVES STAR WARS... mostly Ewoks and Porgs.

hunggi74 is on a distinguished road

AEFW you're looking for light brown to tan colored oblong flatworms. The ones I have seen looked like tiny flaps of skin squirming in the water.
Get a flashlight with red cellophane taped to the lens and look at night in your tank for possible pests eating your SPS. Until then, I'd cut what you have that's still good and remount on plugs. Didn't you run into STN or RTN on your previous tank too? I wonder if there is a connection...
Old 04-14-2015, 09:45 AM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunggi74 View Post
AEFW you're looking for light brown to tan colored oblong flatworms. The ones I have seen looked like tiny flaps of skin squirming in the water.
Get a flashlight with red cellophane taped to the lens and look at night in your tank for possible pests eating your SPS. Until then, I'd cut what you have that's still good and remount on plugs. Didn't you run into STN or RTN on your previous tank too? I wonder if there is a connection...
yea i had stn and rtn in my old tank before as well, but that was with me messing up my dosing and letting param fluctuate so much. My params look fine this time tho which makes me have a headache
Old 04-14-2015, 01:25 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

It's simple.....you need more super glue
Old 04-14-2015, 02:04 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

In all your pics, I see a bunch of what was dry rock (or appears that way since it's shock white with diatoms growing on it). When did you switch the tank over? Did you use new sand or old sand? How long was the new tank running before you moved the corals over? Did you use any bacteria products to help the new tank? If so, which ones? I'm thinking it's "new tank with dry rock syndrome" (yes I made that up).

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:26 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I'm thinking it's "new tank with dry rock syndrome" (yes I made that up).
I like it
Old 04-14-2015, 04:13 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

I also think it looks like you may be adding sps way before your system is ready some people wait for upto a year not saying you need to but your system needs more cycle time in my opinion also you should fix your mag that's pretty low.get a container of mag chloride and mag sulphate at jl. You can use randys 2 part recipe for mixing instructions (found on Google) it will take a lot to get it where you want it. Just because you mag has always been low don't make it right. Personally I would be worried if my mag was at that level.also if your phosphate is zero that's a issue but think you may wanna review the instruction with your Hanna with all that sps melting away your phosphate are rising not a chance there zero. By the way I keep my phoshate no lower then .03 no higher then .06 I find any lower you loose colour any higher you grow algae.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:29 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Agreed ^

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:39 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

My 180, full of SPS, ran at 1050ppm Mg for it's entire existence. I didn't have any issues with corals. The Mg value here is not the problem.

I also started my new tank with dead/dry rock, new water, new sand and 60 SPS frags. All did well at the same values OP has posted, and color and tissue stayed on the pieces. Higher PO4 eventually retarded growth, but never lost any tissue/color on a brand new setup with everything dry. Again, while not optimal in my opinion, not the problem here.