Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2012, 04:14 PM

Albertan22 is on a distinguished road
Default Broken heater -> Tank Crash in Progress

So on Thursday evening I came home to a house filled with a strange electrical smell. My wife had the windows open and informed me that she had unpluged my skimmer as it was overflowing when she got home a couple of hours before me. I opened the stand doors and the smell was definately coming from the water. This concerned me greatly as I had just replaced the pump on my skimmer 2 days prior during a water change.

I pulled the skimmer pump and it seemed fine. I imediately began making up water change water which takes me about 5-6 hours as I typically change about 30 gallons out of my sump (120g DT with a 40g sump (doesn't run full)). I also changed the GFO out of my reactor and replaced it with carbon. After I started the skimmer back up and readjusted it, it started pulling skimate like crazy which was black as coal (not the foam, but the gunk and water the cup collects). Over the 36 hours or so it took to prepare for the water change (couldn't avoid going to work yesterday) I lost a cleaner shrimp, all the zooanthids, polyps and aipstasia (no pitty for these pests) have been closed up and my volleyball sized birdsnest has started RTNing. Fish seem ok, but I'm sure I've lost a lot of my clean up crew as no one came out to dispose of the dead shrimp.

I did the water change this morning and found that the glass heater I have behind my skimmer was broken in half. The smell was definately coming from it and I'm sure it's been contaminating my tank with metals. I've started making water for a second change tomorrow and am continuing to run carbon in my reactor. Is there anything else that I should be doing?