Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Aqua Digital > Fauna Marin Reviews

Old 03-10-2009, 02:18 AM

pterfloth is on a distinguished road
Default Pat's 120

Welcome

I have decided to start this blog on my 120 gal SPS dominated tank that I have recently converted to UltraLITH-Fauna Marin treatment. I could find very few blogs and thought that there should be more.

The tank is about 5 years old and began as a FOWLER. Three years ago I converted it into a softy tank and introduced my first SPS, a digitata 18 months ago. Over the past 12 months I have been slowly converting to a primarily SPS and LPS tank.

Tank/Pumps
120 gallon 48x24x24 tank, single drilled corner overflow
40 gallon sump
1000 gph return pump
4x Koralia 3 powerheads
MSX-200 Extreme Skimmer with mesh mod Sicce 2500 pump
100 micron filter bags on return
500 ml carbon in TLF reactor

Lighting
2x400w MH Geisemann 13K
2x54w Geisemann Actinics

Full Tank Mar 4/09

Pocilli Mar 4/09

Yellow Green Acro Mar 4/09

Purple Acro Mar 4/09

UltraLITH Fauna Marin Treatment
I began using the Ultra Amin Special Mixture 2 months ago and have noted a dramatic increase in coloration. This stuff works. If I miss two days the difference is noticable.

One week ago I began the full UltraLITH program. Using the UltraLITH calculator, I began with 250 ml UltraLITH, 3 ml UltraBak, 3 ml UltraMin and 3 drops of UltraBio. I am now up to 5 drops of UltraBio for this week and increased the UltraLITh to 500 ml.

So far I have noticed a decrease in film on the glass, cleaning every two days instead of every day. My skimmer is also producing a thicker, fouler skimate.

I am hoping for increased coloration, a cleaner tank, less cyano on the sand bed and the elimination of some minor hair algae.

I'll try to keep things up to date.

Happy reefing my friends!

Mar 5/09
Everything looking good. Soaking my next 250 ml of UltraLith in preparation for addition to reactor.

Tested nutrient levels today. Phosphate 0.01 ppm (photometer), Nitrate 2 ppm, Calcium 420 ppm, Alkalinity 120 ppm.

Expecting my Aquacontroller Jr to arrive within the next couple of days. Also ordered two used Tunze 6000's and Tinze Multicontroller 7094 with 6091 wavemaker from a fellow reefer on ReefCentral. Gonna be rocking soon!

Mar 9/09
Everything looking good.

Test results:

Phosphate: 0.01 ppm
Nitrate: 1 ppm (lowest ever!)
Calcium: 420 ppm
Magnesium: 1470 ppm
Alkalinity: 135 ppm
pH: 8.38

Up to 750 ml of UltraLith now. No UltraBio as per UltraLith Calculator guide. Still adding 3 ml of UltraBak and UltraMin daily. Adding 2 ml of Ultra Amino SPS every day.

Cyano on sandbed and on live rock reduced. Hair algae still present in a few place. Film on glass reduced but still cleaning glass every two days.

No change in coloration of SPS.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:30 AM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

Hi Pat

Great blog keep it coming.

I will tomorrow with fresh eyes have a look at your dosing make sure we are on the right path and advise when required.

Shame about the aq junior though and havign to buying Tunze controller, put that little lot together and you could of got a profiLux with Tunze control which would do way more and save you a few $$$

Niggle niggle dig dig
Old 03-10-2009, 03:04 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Wow Pat! Awesome looking tank. You've got some great colors in there

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:43 AM

Thanks Christy! An honor to be praised by you! How's that new tank coming?
Old 03-10-2009, 02:46 PM

Hi Pat,

As promised have looked through your great blog.

Everything seems to be going great so far

The Bio dosing is off as per the manual but as you are seeing great results probably not worth changing this for now but see how it goes. here is what the doseage of Bio should be

Standard dosing:

Shake well before use.
When starting to use UltraBio or after an exchange of the UltraLith filter medium add 1 drop per 100 liter every day for 2 weeks. After this initial phase, add 2 drops per 100 Liter every three days, until the next exchange of the Ultralith filter medium. Please add the UltraBio either directly into the tank or into the intake of the Zeolite Filter.

It is advisable to turn off the skimmer for 2 to 3 hours after the addition of UltraBio.

The dosing for Ultra Bak and Ultra Min-S seems fine.

It sounds like you are already using Ultra Amin? is this correct, if so to what doseage.

In reagrds to colouration, Ultra lith is a slow process but also what makes fauna ULNS so successful as you are changing the system slowly not hitting the gas peddle a racing to the finish line, slow and gentle changes are always best.

In 4-6 weeks you can start the Ultra power trace elements and it is then you will really see tha colour come out.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:06 PM

Before starting UltraLith I added 4 ml/day Ultra Amin and really noticed a great improvement in coloration. After starting UltraLith I stopped for a week but my colors started to fade a bit so I resumed adding Ultra Amin at 2 ml/day.

Not sure where to go from here. Pinks are still not as bright as before. Shall I just wait a while, decrease or increase the Ultra Amin?

Are you recommending that I add 8 drops of UltraBio every 3 days this week (week 3)?

Thanks for your input

Pat
Old 03-10-2009, 03:46 PM

Hi

Well your parameters are good, you are seeing reduced algea so I would not change the dose until you are on the next cycle then increase, but watch closely for coral fade.

As for the Amin if you are not seeing any adverse effects from early dosing then continue.

The trick is not to throw too much in too soon, the reason for this is that not only does the system need time to adjust but also when fine tuning doses if you are putting in too much too soon of different products you can get confused as to what needs adjusting, this is where the 6 week rule comes in as by then you would of fine tuned the basic 4 doses.

I will check with Fauna in regards to your bio dosing also just so we have all the right answers.

But things are going great, this is a fantastic blog, thanks for sharing
Old 03-10-2009, 04:13 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

Great Tank Pat

I will be following your Blog from now on.

Tom R
Old 03-10-2009, 04:23 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

Welcome...nice to see someone else doing the ultralith and documenting the trial too.....
Old 03-11-2009, 04:37 AM

lobsterboy is on a distinguished road

awesome polyp extentsion on that green yellow acro.