Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2011, 03:02 AM

RGS88 is on a distinguished road
Default RO Water vs Tap Water (Edmonton)

Hello all

I am new to canreef, and will be new to marine/reef. I've had freshwater tropical/cichlid tanks of various shapes and sizes for the past 40 years. I've always wanted to set up a marine/reef tank. So after months of reading books, research, asking questions of local marine shops... I think I'm ready to make the big jump and set up my first reef tank.

As my first tank, I've chosen an AIO (all-in-one)... the Red Sea Max 250. I thought this was a good starter tank size... not too small, and not overly big. I know some users may say that the Red Sea Max 250 is not a true marine/reef tank or is a piece of junk or has cheap parts... etc. etc., but after much research, I'm convinced it's a good starter tank and a good way to get my feet wet in reef tanks because everything that I need is in one unit, so I don't have to start sourcing out separate parts like tanks, skimmers, heaters, pumps, etc.

Anyway, I'm curious about water for the new tank. I'm getting conflicting messages both on the internet, and by talking to local marine shops about RO water (reverse osmosis) vs conditioned tap water.

There are camps that say not to waste time/money and effort on an RO system, and just use conditioned tap water. For example some marine shops say that they use only conditioned tap water in their tanks. Then there are those that say to only use RO water, and never ever use tap water... either for the initial tank filling, or topping off the water.

So of course I'm confused. I'm from Edmonton and am curious if our tap water in specific, or tap water in general is a big no no for marine reef tanks, and that it absolutely has to be only RO water... or is RO water a waste of time/effort and money?

Your thoughts...

And... 3 Miniature Schnauzers