Old 04-10-2011, 06:48 PM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Reef Roids
Old 04-10-2011, 07:11 PM

RDNanoGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosionjerry View Post
What and how are you feeding Gonipora?

I feed my Goniopora Stokesi a combination of Coral Frenzy, DT Oyster Eggs, and Cyclopeez. I target feed with a turkey baster then dump the leftover in the tank for the rest of the corals. I feed 3 times per week. In a little over 4 months the coral has completely encrusted itself onto the live rock.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:20 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Goniopora is one of the corals that LFS should not order in.
The reason is that its food needs have not been determined.
They may live for a few months but eventually starve to death.

Experts have had rare success by feeding copious amounts of phytoplankton type foods to the point where the tank water has a distinct green tinge to it.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:44 PM

corrosionjerry is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the info / it was an impulse buy... I really should of informed myself before purchasing!

so far all looks well however after reading about this animal ... I see long term it could be a big problem to keep alive... dont think I would of purchased it if I would of been properly informed or was smart enough not to buy on impulse and educate myself first about what I was buying!

In anycase I have been feeding it plankton / cyclopz / marine snow... my tank has very good lighting about 5-6 watts per gallon in water about 15 inches deep....

any other suggestions would be welcome!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 AM

Matman is on a distinguished road

I've tried many foods and my goniopora and alveopora are now thriving!

Reef roids is accepted, but the coral reaction to it is not great. The best food I've found for my goniopora is the fauna marin ultra zoa/acan soaked in ultra min D. It was suggested on a forum by Claude the company boss and it's working great on mine. I have a goniopora Stokesi which is supposed to be one of the hardest one to maintain. It got sick neon green colored ring on his tentacules recently. It's also accepting Acan plus and it seems to love it! I also feed cyclopeeze and nutramar ova to my fishes and the goniopora can catch some.

The alveopora has smaller mouth and the ultra zoa is clearly the best food for it. It was recently damaged by a leather coral who got sick. His "flowers" were getting smaller and kinda pointy. After feeding it for a while and removing the leather coral, it came back to his previous state (~10 cm long polyps and 2 cm diamater)

I think it's very important to feed them. The goniopora was hurt when I got it from someone. It was loosing some tissue and loosing color. The tissue loss has stop since then and it's in great shape!

I should note that I put some kent iron and manganese into the water. It was noted that it can help them in some case.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:26 AM

corrosionjerry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matman View Post
I've tried many foods and my goniopora and alveopora are now thriving!

Reef roids is accepted, but the coral reaction to it is not great. The best food I've found for my goniopora is the fauna marin ultra zoa/acan soaked in ultra min D. It was suggested on a forum by Claude the company boss and it's working great on mine. I have a goniopora Stokesi which is supposed to be one of the hardest one to maintain. It got sick neon green colored ring on his tentacules recently. It's also accepting Acan plus and it seems to love it! I also feed cyclopeeze and nutramar ova to my fishes and the goniopora can catch some.

The alveopora has smaller mouth and the ultra zoa is clearly the best food for it. It was recently damaged by a leather coral who got sick. His "flowers" were getting smaller and kinda pointy. After feeding it for a while and removing the leather coral, it came back to his previous state (~10 cm long polyps and 2 cm diamater)

I think it's very important to feed them. The goniopora was hurt when I got it from someone. It was loosing some tissue and loosing color. The tissue loss has stop since then and it's in great shape!

I should note that I put some kent iron and manganese into the water. It was noted that it can help them in some case.

I have some acan plus that I will try / what kind of reaction should one see? Is there an imediate feeding response? Or is it unnoticed and you are seeing growth over time?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 AM

Matman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosionjerry View Post
I have some acan plus that I will try / what kind of reaction should one see? Is there an imediate feeding response? Or is it unnoticed and you are seeing growth over time?
There is an immadiate feeding response! Polyps are going to retract on food and get "fatter". I slowly target feed it all around the goniopora.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:05 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Yup just shut off all the flow for the tank and start gently feeding and leave the flow off for minimum 20-30 minutes. I have yet to try the acan plus but I have heard great things