Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-19-2009, 11:36 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough
Default Closed Loops (New design)

Ok, so I sold the 40 in BC, and bought a 90 out here in Saskatchewan. So, I'm thinking I will do a small 2-way closed loop on this tank for three reasons:

~ So I can hopefully eliminate most if not all powerheads.

~ T the pump outlet for an easy water change system like superduperwesman did in his nano contest tank. It won't work in the sump because there will only be about 3-5 gallons of water in with the pump.

~ I can use a 2-way to create a wavebox sort of action I'm hoping. This way I can get away with probably just using one VorTech (later on down the road when I feel rich again), or maybe I will be happy just using a couple Koralia 4's or some such thing.

So...any input on how many gph I should run my closed loop? Remember I keep LPS only, although I will add a few SPS to the 90 (I think). Pump recommendations?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Thread:

I am busy plumbing my 40g tank. Being that it is small, I want to eliminate as many power heads as possible for as clean a look as possible. So I'm probably going to incorporate a closed loop. I'm thinkin just a basic one (mostly because I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to plumbing anything other than basics). Ideally I would like to eliminate all power heads if possible.

The tank is already drilled in the upper two back corners for in/out to the sump. I'm thinkin to drill the back pane for the closed loop. I have two pumps Poseidon 3 (700 gph at 4' head, 800gph at 0' head), and a Little Giant 2-MD (a little over 400 gph at 4' head). Should I split the outflow on the PS3 or use the LG for the closed loop? I don't want more than 400 gph through the sump, but would prefer 300-325 gph. I have my own drill bits, so I can drill holes to my heart's content, so feel free to suggest any number of bulkheads. Please suggest pipe and bulkhead sizes too.

I'm thinkin use the LG for the sump, and the PS3 for the closed loop? How many bulkheads could come off there and have decent flow? I plan to use Loc-Line with nozzles on the ends.

Any ideas or suggestions given what I have for equipment, and how to do it? What would you do?

Keep in mind this is for LPS, not SPS, so flow has to be reasonable! Can't be blowin the flesh off my corals now!

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 05-06-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Myka, given how nice your current corals look, I trhink a good question would be what powerheads you currently use and how much turnover you have now. Repeating that would be what I aim for.

My guess is that you have more than these two can provide and in the end you will either have to up-size the pumps or still use one powerhead.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:18 AM

I have a lot of detritus settling in my tank. I just have a MJ1200 and a Koralia 2 in there now, and it's a mess. No maintenance since Christmas doesn't help though!! I'm gonna add a second MJ1200 here as soon as it's done mixing up my salt buckets.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:29 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

I'd run the PS3 as your CL pump... drill a 1 or 1.5" hole in the center of the back of the tank, then run whatever size pipe comes off the CL pump all the way back to your returns, which I would make 2 x 3/4", but don't reduce until back at the tank.

I guess it's your choice whether you want to drill for the CL returns, or just run them over the edge of the tank. Then again if its not tempered you could drill those 2 returns through the floor of the tank. I find it really helps in my 75G to suspend detritus as it is an upward flow.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 03-20-2009, 12:34 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

I'd go with a Vortech MP40 instead of the closed loop. It won't take up much space, won't add any heat, and uses way less hydro.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 03-20-2009, 12:39 AM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

running a closed loop will get the crap off the bottom and into the water column, then if you need some mre flow add the vortech to change things up a bit.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm not looking into putting $500 into a Vortech anytime soon. I want to work with what I have. I have lots of powerheads I can use if need be. *grumble*

How many 1/2" outputs do you think I could put on the CL with the PS3 and still have decent flow (like MJ1200 type flow minimum) coming through them? Just 1? 2? 3?

JDigital, the PS3 has 3/4" fittings on it...so do you mean I should run 3/4" piping all the way to the 3/4" bulkheads then reduce it and run 1/2" Loc-Line?

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 03-20-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:48 AM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm not looking into putting $500 into a Vortech anytime soon. I want to work with what I have. I have lots of powerheads I can use if need be. *grumble*

How many 1/2" outputs do you think I could put on the CL with the PS3 and still have decent flow (like MJ1200 type flow minimum) coming through them? Just 1? 2? 3?

JDigital, the PS3 has 3/4" fittings on it...so do you mean I should run 3/4" piping all the way to the 3/4" bulkheads then reduce it and run 1/2" Loc-Line?
Depends on the outlet of the pump you use, if it's 3/4 then you can run two 1/2 outlets
Old 03-20-2009, 12:51 AM

I think what I will do is rig something up to the PS3 to give me 3 outlets, put it in a bucket, and see how much flow is coming out. I'm worried that I may put too many outlets on it, and make the closed loop a moot point.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:51 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I'd skip the closed loop and just go with 400-500gph through the sump, a 10x turnover is more than enough for lps. That closed loop will only complicate things and give little benefit. Keep it simple stupid