Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 06-09-2010, 01:24 AM

pirate is on a distinguished road

Well since my days off are here I guess I'll start to paint it. Any one paint it a different color? I was thinging a ocean blue/green. Like all those photos in scuba diving mags. Or just go with trusty black? Lots of work to be done this days.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:27 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

A friend and I used a double layer of Limo Tint on the back of his tank to black it out. But as a response to DiverDude:

You can get sheets of vinyl in black or blue or whatever colour that you apply in the same way as you would window tint. It makes a really smooth finish. I used to work at an aquarium manufacturing warehouse and we switched from using krylon to this vinyl on the backs of tanks.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:09 PM

hound96 is on a distinguished road

heres one that'll get ya all goin i couldn't decide on black or blue either and i also had the thought that if i ever moved o may want my tank to be a room divider meaning it would have to be visible on both sides so get this i went to the closet and got a black garbage bag and taped it very tight to the back and it is still there after a few months and i think i'm gonna stick with it cuz it does a good job of taking atention away from the overflow box and when i decide to do the room divider all i have to do is take it off , i thought it was a pretty cool idea . what do you think?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:32 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

I used a sheet of acrylic from Home Depot painted it blue (light at top dark at bottom) and used velcro to hold it to the tank.
It pulls right off for cleaning the back and is still translucent and it kind of glows with light behind it and gives a real deep water look.
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium