Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 01-25-2014, 10:00 PM

syncro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadawest View Post
PS... I used to sell my fry to local hobbyists for $15ea or 2 for $25, so 28 for $55 is very generous. Hopefully someone has the time and desire to help most of these fry grow to saleable age (around 6-8 weeks). It's very rewarding to see the fry grow and be able to pass them on to others to live on to adulthood.
Wow, I didn't realize they went for so much. What percentage of a batch were you able to raise? My first batch I had about 40% survival to 8 weeks before selling - most of the loses were near the end. I was trying the wean them off BBS but most wouldn't eat anything else.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:02 PM

Sold. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:54 PM

canadawest is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind this was over 6 years ago that I raised Bangaii fry, I have no idea what the going rate for them would be today, but back then $15 for a tank raised fish seemed like a good deal (and kept local hobbyists from having to take wild caught)

I actually had pretty good success with them. I had a little acrylic 12 gal all-in-one nano tank that acted as a perfect nursery tank. After I figured out the timing of the first batch or two, I was getting about 75% survival rate. I found I would lose several the first week, then like you would lose a few more just before saleable age (8-10 weeks). I found having an artificial long spined urchin in the tank helped (perhaps lowered their stress?) and did only small weekly water changes. (also less stress?) I also supplemented my bbs hatch water with Selcon, not sure if that helped them be more nutritious? And I dumped live and unhatched eggs into the nursery tank, cause they would eat the unhatched cysts too. Most of mine were weaned to frozen mysis (finely shredded) before selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncro View Post
Wow, I didn't realize they went for so much. What percentage of a batch were you able to raise? My first batch I had about 40% survival to 8 weeks before selling - most of the loses were near the end. I was trying the wean them off BBS but most wouldn't eat anything else.

Andrew B.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:27 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Thanks Brian!

I have no intention of raising them to make money on them. If that kind of good fortune smiled upon me, I would find them homes.

I am hoping to at least have a couple survive. I used to have them everywhere, sump, overflows, etc.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:10 AM

Thumbs up

Best of luck with your new fry, hope they all fight (and you give them a fighting chance) to get to adulthood! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB View Post
Thanks Brian!

I have no intention of raising them to make money on them. If that kind of good fortune smiled upon me, I would find them homes.

I am hoping to at least have a couple survive. I used to have them everywhere, sump, overflows, etc.

Andrew B.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
If you put in the work to raise them you deserve the rewards.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:18 AM

Old 01-30-2014, 03:39 AM

Timbits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Soooo cute!!!!!!! Are they in your display tank? Won't it be easier to raise them in a tank of their own? I would imagine the strong flow might be a little hard on them and also harder to feed.

O btw I absolutely love that colorful knife urchin u made
Old 01-30-2014, 03:58 AM

There is no major flow in the tank at the moment. We are water changing from the sump and the tank is looking better than it has in a while, lol..

I use a syringe with a hose tube on it and feed into the urchin. Seems to work quite well actually.

Hubby made a slight calculation error with regards to the size of the holes in the containment area.....or they wouldn't be in there, trust me.

They will be getting a larger urchin made with straws this weekend to give them more room. That one was for the container.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:18 AM

Talking Brilliant!

Quote:
That's brilliant! I also made an artificial ls urchin when I used to raise them, I think it makes a big difference in their survivability.

Hoping to see them all make it to saleable age, it's good for the hobby and rewarding too!

Andrew B.