Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-06-2008, 04:54 AM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road
Default Fragging Bubble Corals?

I thought my bubble was dead. Long story. It hadn't had any extension or signs of life for a couple weeks. I looked in the skeleton and couldn't see any tissue. I left it sit in the tank and about a week ago on one end I notice new growth, bubbles and tentacle extension. I fed it and it has continued to get larger. In the last couple days the same thing has happened on the other end of the skeleton. I've been feeding it and it looks good too. There are two distinct mouths and I can't see any tissue in between. The skeleton is about 4" long. Is It possible I have two distinct corals coming back in the same shell. Does anyone know if the shell can be split in two and have two new frags?

I've read about fragging healthy ones, but not about this particular situation. Interested in hearing opinions.

TIA
Brad
Old 04-06-2008, 09:11 AM

dareefguy is on a distinguished road

I almost killed mine aswell, same thing but actually I had a whole bunch of baby bubble corals on the skeleton. I still have two left that are getting pretty big again so I am going to be taking a chisel to it pretty soon. I have also smashed the dead coral away from a recoverd bubble before with good success.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:27 AM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Yes you can. I finally got up the courage tonight to split it in two. The skeleton was cut with a metal wheel on my dremel, then popped apart with a screw driver. Those skeletons are thick and tough, whole procedure took about 10 minutes. Put the two corals back into the tank and within minutes they were opened up with tentacle extension and looking like nothing had happened. They ate about 1 hour later. The resilience of some of these creatures amazes me.