Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-08-2010, 04:29 AM

trinac is on a distinguished road
Talking My Tanks! Well, My Attempt!

I figured the tank been running long enough to feel confident to now share the glory!!! haha just kidding. I am just scratching the surface of this fantastic hobby. I decided to start small in the saltwater world and set up a 30 something gallon mini reef, with big brother in the basement on the way. I wanted to make my mistakes on a smaller scale for the sake of convenience and cashflow. I can't say I've made any horrid mistakes, I read books, but already know what I am going to do differently for the big tank. #1 Not buying any fish unless its on "the list", instead of getting a fish to just put in the tank. #2 trap pests before I put in my stuff. #3 coral dip!? yes please.

The 30 something gallon
* It has too many fish, nothing new there. Before anyone goes haywire there are a couple baby fish (that grow relatively large) that will go into big brother, so don't even worry about it. haha I also do have the nicest maroon clown ever, no big deal.
* SPS frags - digi's, milli, acro, birdnests
* LPS - bubble, pink brain, red brain, candycane's
* mushrooms
* ricordia (made a baby! hooray!)
* peppermint shrimps, skunk cleaner shrimp
* pink / yellow cucumber
* orange / green / purple multicolor linckia
* pink emerald crab
* cleaner crew - astrea, turbo, mexican turbo snail, hermit crabs
* nasties - live rock crabs, bristleworms, bit of cyano

I use DI water and IO salt. I like Elos test kits the best but also have a couple Salifert and API.

Bigger Brother!! Not 300g or anything, but big enough. Nearly there for equipment but I am thinking of doing a bit different of configuration for tank dimension. Am thinking something along the lines of 48"W x 30"D x 25"H. I don't completely understand how sumps work yet, but it will have a sump as well. I am not a huge fan of the hang on everything that I have on my 30G. Plus, having a place to keep macroalgae and nasties is ideal as well.

My favourite stores I frequent are Red Coral, Gold's and Ocean City.

I have met a few of the canreefer's and look forward to your feedback, advice, and look forward to meeting more of you along the way. Now you all play nice here or I'll have to smack a *****

Pictures another day!
Old 06-12-2010, 02:50 AM

Alright, change in plans already. Going with medium brother next, 90G. I have all the equipment parts now. This will allow me to have my cake and eat it too or whatever. I can keep the custom build plans flexible as the basement gets renovated. It WILL actually get renovated as its not coming out of my fish budget... comes out of bf's budget. Next is just sand, salt and rocks. Probably in a few weeks, gotta get my biking pass for Kicking Horse right now, and possible motorhome fix up!

Hopefully can put up pictures this evening, no idea where bf has put the camera...

Trina
Old 06-12-2010, 03:36 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

All I hear is blah blah blah blah no pictures blah blah blah going to Kickinghorse and you're not blah blah blah.

Have a good ride, come home in mostly one piece!!!! Wish I were out there with ya.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:51 AM

Ryanst is on a distinguished road

Yeah definately need some pictures. lol
Old 06-12-2010, 04:47 AM

haha fine fine, I guess I have to figure it out now. I wonder if I embed it will work?

Attempt Brain #1
failed.

Attempt Brain #2

Last edited by trinac; 06-12-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:07 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

The easiest way to post pics is to use photobucket.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 06-12-2010, 05:09 AM

Wingin It is on a distinguished road

try opening your pic file in Paint and then re-size it to 25% of original or something and then try uploading...or you can upload to a site like photobucket.com and imbed
Sweet little tank btw. I'm envious!