Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-28-2010, 03:07 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
On that size tank, I'd probably just use the 1 MH. It will cover a 24x24 area. At 30" deep, you'd need to keep more light demanding critters higher up.

agreed one halide is fine on that tank
Old 12-28-2010, 03:49 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

250 watt MH will use slightly more than 250 watt T5 if both are electronic ballasts, if the MH is a magnetic ballasts then the MH will draw between 300 and 400 watts.

as comented above about 200ish watts of T5 being the same as 500 wats of MH, I almost rolled on the floor laughing. there not even close. yes visualy they will apear simmular if they are on different tanks, except the T5 tank will have no shimmer and look flat, as far a PAR goes you cannot get enough T5's on a tank to equal the PAR of a good 250 watt set up.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:55 PM

amoreira is on a distinguished road
Default Go for LED

LED would be the best, if you can afford it. They're dimmable and have no waste heat. Go for the Vertex or the AquaIllumination models. 80 watts per foot on both, so you'd be consuming 160 watts maximum (probably running around 50% output, so make that 80 watts).
180 gal tank, 50 gal sump, PM RFCa6 Ca Reactor, SWC Extreme 250 1A Cone Skimmer, Tunz Osmolator ATOF, Aquacontroller Apex, Aquaillumination Sol Super Blue 6 x 75w Units, Acros/Softies/LPS/Mushrooms/Zoos, Purple/Powder Blue/Yellow Tang/3xBlue Chromis/2xTomato Clown/Lawnmower Blenny
Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM

Alleycat_99 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feed back
Old 12-28-2010, 04:58 PM

cuz is on a distinguished road

or.... a new 250w halide from some random fellow reefer!!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:13 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
250 watt MH will use slightly more than 250 watt T5 if both are electronic ballasts, if the MH is a magnetic ballasts then the MH will draw between 300 and 400 watts.

as comented above about 200ish watts of T5 being the same as 500 wats of MH, I almost rolled on the floor laughing. there not even close. yes visualy they will apear simmular if they are on different tanks, except the T5 tank will have no shimmer and look flat, as far a PAR goes you cannot get enough T5's on a tank to equal the PAR of a good 250 watt set up.

Steve

I'm still having trouble trying to find where someone said 200w of t5's are the same as 500w of halides if it's in regards to my comment I said they can light the same tank not use the same power or par, but then again I'm still on my morning coffee maybe I'm missing something lol