Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default Brittle star spawed!!!!!!!!

After coming back home today, I noticed that my brittle star pulled out the feather duster out of the substrate and was wrapping its legs around it :| I was like WTH!!! I was thinking of taking the star out because it was growing too big and too ugly for my tank and now I had the excuse to actually take it out. So tried to grab it but in the first attempt, a part of its leg came off :| Afterwards, I was able to pull it out of the tank. When I turned on the light to check whether everything is alright, I saw the whole tank filled with mucus :O I tried to clean it manually as much as I can but I am pretty sure there are some of those mucus left (very sticky). So I guess it spawned!

Now I am even more worried since I really don't want hundreds of these ugly stars in my tank :| What should I do? Do a big water change? I really don't want any more brittle star! The one I had didn't do anything to be honest :|
Old 10-04-2012, 01:12 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

I'm. It sure how they reproduce, so I can't make any recommendations there.

A big water change would be in order, I think. Do you run carbon?
Old 10-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
I'm. It sure how they reproduce, so I can't make any recommendations there.

A big water change would be in order, I think. Do you run carbon?

Three bags (regular carbon of aqua clear and two chemi pure).
Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Not sure their legs just pull off that easily, sounds more like it's dying and fouling the tank.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:57 PM

The pull was quite hard on the leg since it was attached itself to a rock. After pulling out the leg, the bugger showed its disk and I quickly grabbed it by the disk.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:56 PM

Flash is on a distinguished road

i have seen these things spawn... that doesn't sound like spawn. i even have it on video from when i worked at blueworld!! might have just been pooping.

Fb- edmonton fish coral and hardware buy and sell!
Old 10-04-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
i have seen these things spawn... that doesn't sound like spawn. i even have it on video from when i worked at blueworld!! might have just been pooping.
I hope so. I really don't want these crawlers all over my aquarium :|
Old 10-04-2012, 06:17 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Could be dead too or dying, I know when they die they turn to goo pretty quick. Like a white bodily fluid looking goo sick..
Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano View Post
Could be dead too or dying, I know when they die they turn to goo pretty quick. Like a white bodily fluid looking goo sick..
Well its out of my tank now so it won't be throwing any more of those yucky stuff :P Cause way too much trouble and my tank is a bit mess now. Couldn't fix it yesterday since it was late and had to come to university today so couldn't fix it either. Flows are messed up, torch is messed up (I had to shorten the skeleton since it was standing so tall that the flow hitting it was too hard) and the maxi-mini started to shift its place!!!! Man its such a mess thanks to the brittle star :@

I have hardly being able to enjoy the aquarium in the last 4months :'( and had to put in my hand almost every single day!!! Is it normal or I am just doing it wrong?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Well its out of my tank now so it won't be throwing any more of those yucky stuff :P Cause way too much trouble and my tank is a bit mess now. Couldn't fix it yesterday since it was late and had to come to university today so couldn't fix it either. Flows are messed up, torch is messed up (I had to shorten the skeleton since it was standing so tall that the flow hitting it was too hard) and the maxi-mini started to shift its place!!!! Man its such a mess thanks to the brittle star :@

I have hardly being able to enjoy the aquarium in the last 4months :'( and had to put in my hand almost every single day!!! Is it normal or I am just doing it wrong?
Normal! Always something to fidget with, move around, remove, reglue, catch....non stop. I have days like this too, hang in there, it gets better!