Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia

Old 01-16-2015, 12:15 AM

jhj0112 is on a distinguished road

you can also try Clark's feed and seed in Old bellingham downtown. they have some salwater fishes/corals..
Old 01-16-2015, 12:42 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Clark's is terrible. Not much in terms of decent dry goods. just low end stuff. I wasn't super impressed with their livestock either. Julian and Colin at Crystal Reef are enthusiasts. They had some nice stuff when i was in there last and could probably order in anything you needed.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:30 AM

rishu_pepper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
Wouldn't you be visiting for the better selection rather than better pricing where livestock is concerned?

I've never shopped for aquaria in the states, but I always just assumed they have a better offering overall...
Can't buy any livestock across the border anyway so it's a moot point...? I don't have a CITES.

Crystal Reef will be on the agenda, it's got the Ron approval

Brian
Old 01-16-2015, 03:52 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I think you only need a CITES permit for corals and certain fish, like seahorses. Otherwise marine tropical fish are non-CITES.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:09 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

It's always a gamble how much the border guard knows about corals. I only bring softies (and shrimps and crabs and stuff like that) back since almost all stonies are on Cites (Almost all SPS and LPS are on Cites and don't forgot the clams and live rock are also on Cites along with other stuff). I always get a receipt with the scientific names of the corals or inverts from the store and bring a copy of Cites with me, along with a copy of the laws regarding importing ornamental marine life into Canada, and a book containing pictures of the livestock that I'm importing. Then I declare at the border that I'm bringing back soft corals, shrimp, crab, etc. No issues yet. Most fish are no problem. Just check the list.

Last edited by Samw; 01-16-2015 at 04:17 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:48 AM

rishu_pepper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw View Post
It's always a gamble how much the border guard knows about corals. I only bring softies (and shrimps and crabs and stuff like that) back since almost all stonies are on Cites (Almost all SPS and LPS are on Cites and don't forgot the clams and live rock are also on Cites along with other stuff). I always get a receipt with the scientific names of the corals or inverts from the store and bring a copy of Cites with me, along with a copy of the laws regarding importing ornamental marine life into Canada, and a book containing pictures of the livestock that I'm importing. Then I declare at the border that I'm bringing back soft corals, shrimp, crab, etc. No issues yet. Most fish are no problem. Just check the list.
Is there an online list I can check for which fish? Wouldn't mind picking up some softies too.

Brian
Old 01-16-2015, 05:53 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
I filled up in Lynden last night @ 199.9 per gallon it's about 30% cheaper even with the money difference, worth the trip.
Laurie, I gather your decimals are a bit off
$199.9/gallon is kinda steep for cross-border shopping, don't ya think ?
Old 01-16-2015, 06:58 AM

Timbits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Sam, is tank bred clownfish ok to bring across the border? Thanks! Do you have a link to the list? Thanks!
Old 01-16-2015, 08:02 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Tim and Rishu, you can start by looking here:

http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php

You can see all of the Scleractinia stony corals (ie. SPS, LPS) are listed, Tubiporidae, Helioporidae, Tubiporidae, Tridacna clams, Queen conch, Hippocampus, and Cheilinus undulates, and more are listed on Cites.

Here's the list by species.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...83829542,d.cGU

Last edited by Samw; 01-16-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:15 AM

Timbits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tim and Rishu, you can start by looking here:

http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php

You can see all of the Scleractinia stony corals (ie. SPS, LPS) are listed, Tubiporidae, Helioporidae, Tubiporidae, Tridacna clams, Queen conch, Hippocampus, and Cheilinus undulates, and more are listed on Cites.

Here's the list by species.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...83829542,d.cGU
Hi Sam

I don't see clownfish on the list, does that mean i can bring it across the border? Thanks