Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-01-2004, 06:04 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Sadly, my order with Brineshrimp Direct is still at the UPS depot. I refused to accept it as they wanted a $16 agricultural fee because it is fish food. I never heard of that before.

Originally, BSD agreed to ship the order to me using Postal Service which I paid for. But they made a mistake and sent it using UPS anyways. So this is not looking good.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:11 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Sam that's wild, I guess things have changed again. I used to ship up live shrimp and I DIDN'T get charged any fish/wildlife/agricultural fee's because the shrimp WERE fish food. Live but they were to be fed to fish.

That's sad, I'd contact BSD and let them know, I'm willing to bet they'll set it right.

Doug
Old 03-01-2004, 07:33 PM

zulu_principle is on a distinguished road

I have two thoughts, one of a little surprise, but bsd doesnt ship alot to canada.

Ag fee is for inspection, no big surpirse, just caught in the tape, it happens.

Pay the fee, lesson learned.

Wendell

ps ask for a credit on you next order.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:51 PM

Wendell, yes I did learn the lesson of not using UPS long ago. I requested and they confirmed that they will ship to me by postal service and they gave me a quote for postal service which we then both agree on. So, somewhere along the way, their shipping dept ended up shipping the order to me using UPS. We're working something out now.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:09 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

BSD told me they ship a LOT to Canada. They got me a frozen order here in perfect condition in mid July using DSL.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:10 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu_principle
I have two thoughts, one of a little surprise, but bsd doesnt ship alot to canada.

Ag fee is for inspection, no big surpirse, just caught in the tape, it happens.

Pay the fee, lesson learned.

Wendell

ps ask for a credit on you next order.
BSD ships a lot to canada, and ag fee is for comercial hatcheries buying food from the US not for a individual. UPS is going for a money grab. best thing to do is refuse the shipment like you did, then call BSD and explain that USP adds on hidden charges and you refuse to deal with them and when they get the product back could they ship it USPS as was agreed. for whats it is worth they charge the same amount for shipping USP or USPS Sam so you won't save on shipping by using USPS only the "extra" charges.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:11 AM

zulu_principle is on a distinguished road

I'm sure Steve knows best.

Wendell
Old 03-02-2004, 05:31 AM

stephane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw
Sadly, my order with Brineshrimp Direct is still at the UPS depot. I refused to accept it as they wanted a $16 agricultural fee because it is fish food. I never heard of that before.
another UPS ripoff

Tank picture update sept 2004

Old 03-02-2004, 11:25 AM

theshad is on a distinguished road

I know I am a bit late on this post but never late then never. I guess I will ask my first question of Samw. Is there a particular reason you are looking at feeding Brine Shrimp over another type of food like Rotifers?

If you do want to use brine shrimp then you would be looking at hatching them yourself to feed. You can go to the USA to order them but you can also get them from Canadian suppliers such as Mops (http://www.Mops.ca) and I am sure many others I mention them only because I have delt with them in the past and they are local to me.

As far a the capsulation process you may want to take a look at http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...miaGuide.shtml
Old 03-03-2004, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshad
I know I am a bit late on this post but never late then never. I guess I will ask my first question of Samw. Is there a particular reason you are looking at feeding Brine Shrimp over another type of food like Rotifers?
Yes, the reason I wanted to use decap eggs was so that I don't need to culture live food. Simply feed the decap eggs and let the uneaten eggs hatch instead of rotting. That was the hope.