Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Han Solo

Ram3500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starphire vrs good old glass

Hey guys I am in the market for a new tank . What are your thoughts on starphier vrs regular glass. Pros and cons and can you see a big difference ?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

The Clarity is there for Starphire, but it does scratch easier. I'd say its a 50/50 split. I have had both and like either tank. Best is to see a starphire tank up close and see what you prefer.

I would not have a starphire tank built for me again, but I would purchase one used if it was scratch free. The cost for me does not translate into good tank mojo after the fact.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:05 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I don't really think it scratches much easier, the truth is if you can scratched a starphire tank it's more than likely you would have scratched the regular glass as well. I think it's a blame game people play when they've been careless.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 PM

Werbo is on a distinguished road

I agree with Sphelps. People with scratched up staphire tanks would probably have a scratched up regular tanks.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Banned

denny_CC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I don't really think it scratches much easier, the truth is if you can scratched a starphire tank it's more than likely you would have scratched the regular glass as well. I think it's a blame game people play when they've been careless.
+1 , yes starphire is slightly softer ,but when it comes to cleaning and general maintanance its no different then float glass.

if you scratch starphire you probably would have scratched float glass as well.

starphire for us is easier to cut thats where we notice the difference , other than that theres no diff, besides clarity and price

cheers

denny
concept aquatics
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 PM

riceboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to riceboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I agree as well i've had my tank for 2 years now and have yet to scratch it and i clean with a blade attached to my mag algea scraper.
-concept built 3'x2'x22" full starfire tank with starfire 1 piece eurobrace and built in wave box, 1 jebao wp25, 4 mp10wes, ati led Hybrid 8 bulb fixture, csc 250 skimmer, Magdrive 18 return pump, apex lite, custom sump from concepts, biopellet reactor and carbon and gfo,bubble magnus doser and jbj ato, custom acrylic frag tank with 6 bulb t5
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70851
Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post
The Clarity is there for Starphire, but it does scratch easier. I'd say its a 50/50 split. I have had both and like either tank. Best is to see a starphire tank up close and see what you prefer.

I would not have a starphire tank built for me again, but I would purchase one used if it was scratch free. The cost for me does not translate into good tank mojo after the fact.
I have yet to scratch a tank either, but have always heard starphire scratches easier, even from a couple tank makers so I have always given that pause for thought. I think the only real concern is do you think the clarity is worth the extra costs. I don't really anymore but I do not know your budget. There difference is quite noticeable side by side, but I feel with good maintenance and cleaning a regular 'ol float glass tank looks great. Now if you had too identical setups one float and one star...well maybe you would always choose star...but the price is higher. Again depending on your budget. you do have to look at it all the time

Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

clarity depends on glass thickness of course. having owned a 19mm glass tank i can tell you it was really green. starphire would have been nice. with my current nano i doubt i'd notice much of a difference as the glass is very thin.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
clarity depends on glass thickness of course. having owned a 19mm glass tank i can tell you it was really green. starphire would have been nice. with my current nano i doubt i'd notice much of a difference as the glass is very thin.
Excellent point, thickness does play a significant part. This is a little example of why people spends months planning builds before actually doing anything

Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Banned

fishyfishster is an unknown quantity at this point

I only glass I'd ever pay extra for Is the algae repelling kind