Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-15-2009, 11:28 PM

Tangman is on a distinguished road
Default Potassium Test Kits ?

Just wondering if any one else has trouble reading the results of the Korallen-zucht potassium test kit ?

I find it VERY hard to read , to the point that you basically have to guess a result. Which makes me feel that it is a joke.
The first time I tried it, I immediately thought "boy did I ever get sucked in on this one ! "LOL !

Has anyone seen any other brand of potassium test kit ?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Heh, yeah I don't know anyone who has had "success" in reading that kit. At one point I have even seen people take photos of their readings for the zeovit people and they're all "ok you're good!" and I'm wondering how they can tell.

I could tell when my levels were low but for them being where I wanted them? beats the heck out of me.

Fauna Marin has one as well, I hear its a bit easier to read. Ocean Aquatics has them.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:36 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

I agree, the KZ potassium test kit is difficult to read. I have used it a couple times and to me you can only really get a range of where your K might be. I know a while back it was the only potassium test kit on the market but I think there are other ones available now, not sure who makes them though.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:48 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Fauna Marine Makes another K test kit. I read the instructions and it appears a lot better to read. OA has one on the self.

J
Old 03-16-2009, 12:15 AM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

I've wondered the same thing every time I try to use the KZ kit! The solution is so murky, you can't even see the line at the darkest end. If I dump out half the solution and re-fill it with tap water I get a reading of about 350. I wouldn't think my K is off the scale high since I've never dosed any K additives.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:21 AM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Page 26 on the Zeo guide has a picture of what your test kit should look like at 380ppm if that helps. It is a pretty difficult test to read.
http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/z..._english-1.pdf
Old 03-16-2009, 03:09 AM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

For the price you would think they could come up with something a bit easier to understand.

I have tried the ZEOvit test kit and my conclusion was that it was not worth the money especially if it ends in a judgement call.

Tom R
Old 03-16-2009, 03:18 AM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Heh, yeah I don't know anyone who has had "success" in reading that kit. At one point I have even seen people take photos of their readings for the zeovit people and they're all "ok you're good!" and I'm wondering how they can tell.
I get a big laugh out of that. I setup a second monitor on my system at home and I haven't bothered to colour calibrate them yet. I can drag the pic from the zeo guide from one monitor to the other and it looks completely different. Imagine the differences in viewing the pic on 2 separate systems.

Never mind some of the weird stuff a camera can pic up from ambient lighting and such.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:49 AM

Tangman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
For the price you would think they could come up with something a bit easier to understand.

I have tried the ZEOvit test kit and my conclusion was that it was not worth the money especially if it ends in a judgement call.

Tom R
That one of the points I was making , you buy these expensive test kits and after using it , you feel what a joke and that you have been ripped off by the manufacturer
Old 03-16-2009, 04:02 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I didn't really feel ripped off. I just felt it was kind of a hokey test kit for being so pricey. It did tell me that my potassium was low, it just wasn't so clear when my potassium was where it was supposed to be.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.