Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

This thread has gone off topic already. Replies (mine included) without photos are outnumbering replies with photos 10-0.
Full Tank Shots please.... Just a friendly comment. I guess since this is not in the pictures forum, it is fair game for discussion.

Quote:
can you please post a FTS for those of us that are curious...It's the look i'm interested in seeing.
Quote:
Subject:Show Us Your LED Tanks

Last edited by Samw; 01-19-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I think there's so few shots like the ones requested that we're sorta filling that void while we wait =)
Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I have to disagree with a lot of the posts, there is a tremendous savings potential we'll use brads tank as a example.

3x 400 watt MH set up comparing apples to apples your looking at 300-400 each for the first set up with bulbs so 900-1200 bucks.

initial set up for LED 4000 for a store bought, say 1200 for a DIY (which Brad could do if I still lived close )

cost of a chiller for brads tank is say 400. (most likely more) and power for MH is going to be about 550 watts each for a total of 1675 watts.

power for LEDs is going to be about 300 watts for that tank.

so power cost wise using brads example of 25 bucks a month to run the MH, 5 bucks a month to run the LEDs but we'll say 8 bucks.

now at 50,000 hours the LEDs will have to be changed after 11 years running 12 hours a day

so thats 10 bulb changes for the MH at 300 bucks a change for diecent bulbs.

Oh we forgot the T5's/VHO, ect for suplemental lighting with the MH so another 70 bucks a year.

so lets add it all up over an 11 year period.

MH
3300 in electricity. (not including the suplamantal lighting)
3700 in bulb changes
900 for initial setup very cheep side or 1200 normal
400 for the chiller (cheep side) and say 2000.00 in power to run it for 11 years. most likely it will not last that long but we'll assume you don't need to buy another one.

this comes to a total of 10300 over 11 years.. kinda depressing when you think about it now

LED
bought option
4000 for fixture
1056 to run it
0 for bulb changes
0 for chiller as I know the only reason I needed one was because of my MH light in victoria

so 5056 bucks for 11 years.
if he did a DIY set up and even spent 2000 on it then he would be just over 3K for 11 years.

now both of these are assuming there are no premature bulb failures which I had in about 1/5th of the MH I bought and I would suspect that there would be a smaller number of failures with LEDs.

lets talk about the pros and cons of each asside from setup and operating costs.

Color.

MH you are stuck with 1 color untill you change out bulbs. the LED set up you have an infinate range of color blending between royal blue and cool white (6500K to about 30K) with the LED if you don't like the color one day you can switch it at whim by changing the dimming levels of one color or the other.

New corals

MH you have to place New frags low in the tank and or come up with a screening method to reduce the amount of light till they are used to it.

LED you can placve your corals in there spot and drop your intensity and slowly bring it back up over any time period you want with out screening or moving the light

Heat. MH are a radiant heat source, LEDs are not. need I say more on this.. could mean the difference of using a chiller or not.

controlability.

MH do not dim.

Leds can be turned on at 1% of there power and raised in 1% incraments over any time perior you select. you can also do this with the blue then with the white and reverse at the end.
If you want you can also rig your white LEDs to simulate lightning and other visual effects like clouds and such depending how there set up.

finaly light spillage. MH ratiate 360 degrees so you need good reflectors to gain the advantage of all the light and even then your not getting it all.

Leds are also a point source light but they are directional and with optice you can direct your light only where needed not using reflectors with no light spillage which requires larger canopys and housings.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.

Last edited by StirCrazy; 01-19-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I retrofitted some reefbrite LED strips into a 4 bulb Tek fixture

Here's the thread
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67874

My biggest reason to do this was I hate the flat look that flourescent lights only give a tank and this tank is small enough I was worried about heat from a MH.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:58 PM

TheDogFather is on a distinguished road

This thread is worthless without pictures....

Taken moments ago:

One more white balanced:

Some frags:

48" Vertex Illumina SR 1200-200 Philips Rebel LED's

Last edited by TheDogFather; 01-19-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 PM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

wow on the picture

im all about LEDs. If you havent seen one light up in person, you are missing out. I literally fell out of my chair seeing just one CREE XP-G light up.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
so power cost wise using brads example of 250 bucks a month to run the MH, 5 bucks a month to run the LEDs but we'll say 8 bucks.

Steve
Steve, Im gonna need to see your math on this one.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
You're going to save $1100 in two years with bulbs and electrical savings? Wow, what were your original plans exactly? If you don't mind me asking.
The tank I have is 7' long by 32" wide...My original plans were for 3 x 250w DE MH, 8 x 39w T5's. I was planning on running Giesemann MH bulbs and ATI / KZ T5HO mixture. Since I live in the Okanagan, everything is expensive as I either buy it local at an outrageous price or pay to ship it in...bulbs usually being one of the things that don't qualify for free shipping.

$104 x 3 MH =$312 (J&L pricing)
$30 x 8 T5HO = $240 (J&L)

$550/year and I don't think you get a full year out of T5's so I was looking at $1100 over two years with no electrical savings calculated in yet.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:32 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Steve, Im gonna need to see your math on this one.
not math.. called an extra key stroke. I'll fix it haha
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 PM

amoreira is on a distinguished road

Wow! Nice pics with the Illumina 200. That looks like a PAR monster. I hear the 260 is even stronger.

I like my MH, but they sure give off a lot of heat. In the summer that can be problematic and expensive with a chiller. I use fans. They're effective if directed to blow over the surface of the DT. They're noisy and a bit of an eyesore.

I've decided to dump the MH to cut down on electricity and for the features that LED's offer (dimmable!). I'm waiting for an Aquaillumination SOL Blue unit. With this one I can simulate sunrise/sunset and storms. Every dinner time, I'll have the tank experiencing an electrical storm (the DT is right beside the dinner table). I can tie it into my Neptune Apex controller and have some fancy timers set up for such things.
180 gal tank, 50 gal sump, PM RFCa6 Ca Reactor, SWC Extreme 250 1A Cone Skimmer, Tunz Osmolator ATOF, Aquacontroller Apex, Aquaillumination Sol Super Blue 6 x 75w Units, Acros/Softies/LPS/Mushrooms/Zoos, Purple/Powder Blue/Yellow Tang/3xBlue Chromis/2xTomato Clown/Lawnmower Blenny