Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 04-16-2003, 05:26 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Doug, clean that dirty spot off your computer screen, he said "cook" not "cool".
Old 04-16-2003, 07:05 PM

Lofus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Lofus

I am more concerned about keeping the tank cool then hot. Short of enclosing the back and adding an exhaust fan (more noise) I was thinking of a baffles type muffler to knock the sound out but still allow air movement.

I may still be forced into adding some foam to the cabinet doors though.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:28 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Actually, I'm glad you mentioned that. I'd be having the same concern if it was my tank. If your tank is 27 when its 21 in the house, what's going to happen when it's >30 outside? Do you have A/C? I know it doesn't get >30 all THAT often, but it does happen. I'd be keeping a half a thought process on this in the next little while, you have a few months before it's a real threat but it's nice to have a contingency plan if it does happen. My house gets crazy hot in the summer so this is something I have to deal with every summer. I typically deal with the heat with extra fans blowing on my sump, does a bangup job but it increases the evaporation like crazy so you need to be on top of the top-up. The only issue with fans is that you really DO want a heater because if you get too much evap you can actually pull your tank temp down too low. So you definitely want some kind of balancing act there. Just my $0.02, hopefully not a really huge deal but like I said it's something I think I'd be thinking about if it were my tank.

cheers
Old 04-17-2003, 04:08 AM

kari is on a distinguished road

I agree with Tony on spending small dollars (relative to your investment) on a heater for more stable temp. When the heater is not needed and not running, great, no power consumption.
Speaking of summer heat coming, has anybody found a good deal on a chiller$$$$$$

Regarding pump noise part-2, the baffle idea will have very limited success based on my past similar problems and opinions from various pump sales people. I still recommend spending some time with various mounting ideas of the pump before constructing baffles. Sometimes an enclosure with act like a skeaker box. Believe it or not, a Little Giant noise machine can be defeated

Oh, don't bother trying egg cartons

kari
Old 04-17-2003, 04:25 AM

kari is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofus
Due to space limitations the pump is mounted on the side of the tank stand.
Could the pump not be mounted on the floor instead of on the side of stand
Not sure what the floor is (eg. conc or wood) but maybe mount the pump on something not attached to tank stand or cabinet.

Note: If you hold the pump in your hand while its running, it is very quiet. Maybe hire somebody to hold the pump indefinately

Can you please leave a note later as I am very curious of the method used when you find the answer.

Kari
Old 04-17-2003, 04:18 PM

Lofus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Lofus

I think you are right Kari in that the pump is relatively quiet but the tank stand is amplifying the noise. I'll let you know the success of the washers and bracing. I might put some of those heavy felt underpads between the stand and pump as well.

I'll skip the baffles and get a clip-on fan. I have a heater already for the QT.