Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-06-2010, 03:19 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default Would you want to owna product from a company that does buisness like this?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/carroll/?p=1925

http://www.techeye.net/business/appl...haracteristics

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune....man-aggrieved/

http://www.law.com/jsp/cc/PubArticle...of_Apple_v_HTC

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...Sfeed_IWK_News

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331761b,00.htm

they have made a name forthemselves in the #1 company in frivulos lawsuits. it has been showen for every justified lawsuite they lanch one rediculous one.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:21 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Troll.......

And yes, I do want their products. Stylish, well designed, well thought out, well integrated, easy to use. Most people want technology that is transparent and just works. That is what Apple provides.

Those are stupid articles without any substance. Apple is doing what any company does which it to protect their intellectual property. If you spend huge amounts of time and money redefining the way people use technology and file patents on that why not sue others copying your work.

Techies may not like them because they feel they should have the freedom to change and fiddle with any part of the technology they want. Most people don't care. They just want it to work. The fact it looks nice doesn't hurt either. Before Apple, computers were pretty much beige boxes. Apple changed all that. Before Mac OS computers used command interfaces and were difficult for the average person to understand and use. Before the iPhone nobody envisioned a multitouch touchscreen smartphone.

Would the Android phones even exist if not for the iPhone? Probably not. And given that Eric Schmidt was on Apple's board of directors for some time it is quite possible he took some of the inside information from his role at Apple to Google. Google is a far more evil company than Apple in my opinion.

So the answer is a hearty YES. I will happily do business with them.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:31 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I've always chuckled when people talk Apple up for how easy it is to use...I mean this is a company that required people to "KNOW" that they had to drag their disk onto the garbage can in order to eject the floppy disk.

I used to support these as well as PC's and I often found them twice as frustrating as any PC. When things do go wrong...they go sooooooo wrong.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:36 AM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

Don't you have a feeling Steve Jobs is becoming what Bill Gates was to Microsoft before? Love them or hate them they have created a world which no one can almost do any work without using their product.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:12 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Interesting how so many ppl like Ipods, Iphones, apple computers.
I stay away from any i-things, i don't like how they work, i don't like how they tell me what to do, so no i-product for me.
thank you.! but thank you.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
I've always chuckled when people talk Apple up for how easy it is to use...I mean this is a company that required people to "KNOW" that they had to drag their disk onto the garbage can in order to eject the floppy disk.

I used to support these as well as PC's and I often found them twice as frustrating as any PC. When things do go wrong...they go sooooooo wrong.
Sort of like having to click on the "Start" button to turn off your computer Of course now you can just hit the dedicated eject button on Mac keyboards.

And things go wrong with Macs far less often then with Windows so when they do go wrong it is usually something major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
Interesting how so many ppl like Ipods, Iphones, apple computers.
I stay away from any i-things, i don't like how they work, i don't like how they tell me what to do, so no i-product for me.
thank you.! but thank you.
If you're hearing voices coming from the iPod telling you what to do i think maybe you need to see your doctor But seriously, the interfaces are really easy. When an under 5 year old can figure out how to use an iPhone/iPod Touch with minimal teaching that is a well designed piece of technology. That's the magic. Making technology straightforward and easily useful instead of intrusive. Love them or hate them, Apple does that better then any other company.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Crytone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
And things go wrong with Macs far less often then with Windows so when they do go wrong it is usually something major.
I disagree with this point. I haven't had any problems in years with any PCs and any problem I have had has been hardware related (which were either DOA on my initial builds or died several years into service). I think the main reason people feel that way though is PCs are far more dominant in the marketplace. Let's suppose Apples have a 1% failure rate but only 10% of computer users own an Apple. Let's now suppose PCs have the same 1% failure rate but 90% of the users use PCs. You're going to see WAY more PCs than Apples fail just from simple math, roughly a 9:1 ratio.

Personally, my cousins 1year old Macbook has been in the shop more than it's been at his house- he still loves Apple products though! My other cousin had a powersupply go in her new 27" iMac when she first got it which she had to send away (I think to Lethbridge she said?) to get repaired but otherwise has had zero problems with it and it works awesome for her needs (webpage and graphics designer).
Old 03-06-2010, 03:55 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

I don't have a problem with PC hardware, moreso the problem lies within the OS. And with PC, it's Window's. I Love PC products, and Some windows OS were good. I am presently waiting to upgrade to W7 here, as Vista is giving me the most headaches of all.

I have tried Mac's, although limeted use. I didn't like the outlay and how you interfaced with it.

PC for ME. But I am Damn close to trying Linux or something, just waiting for someone to bundle it on a disk for me LOL

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 03-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Steve, you have a bad experience with an Apple or something.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crytone View Post
I disagree with this point. I haven't had any problems in years with any PCs and any problem I have had has been hardware related (which were either DOA on my initial builds or died several years into service). I think the main reason people feel that way though is PCs are far more dominant in the marketplace. Let's suppose Apples have a 1% failure rate but only 10% of computer users own an Apple. Let's now suppose PCs have the same 1% failure rate but 90% of the users use PCs. You're going to see WAY more PCs than Apples fail just from simple math, roughly a 9:1 ratio.
You would think that may be the explanation and it sounds logical but it's not so. Apple and Macs score very well in independent measures of reliability:

http://pcworld.about.com/od/officeha...for-Reliab.htm

http://www.macworld.com/article/1466...liability.html

Steve, I don't see why people have to get on Apple's case for protecting its patented inventions. Plenty of companies do it. Apple has been sued many times for patent infringement too. What usually happens is that the company being sued ends up paying a license fee to the company holding the patent. Apple pays license fees to plenty of other companies and in the past Apple and Microsoft ended up suing each other for patent infringement. They settled and agreed to cross license each others patents. So it is doubtful that Apple will (or even could) put HTC or Nokia or Google out of business. They will simply force them to license the patented technology. Same thing with Xerox. If you think Xerox really wants to stop Apple selling iPhones then you don't know how this works. They want Apple to sell lots of iPhones and pay them some fee for each one sold. That's the game with patents.

I do not blindly support Steve Jobs or Apple. But you can't deny that Steve Jobs does have a talent for finding good people and driving them to make the best technology they can. Apple and Jobs have changed the technology landscape and I guess some people have a problem with that. Before Macintosh there was no consumer GUI. It was all experimental stuff developed by Xerox. MP3 players existed before the iPod but they were clunky and had lousy interfaces. Apple put a great package together with excellent hardware (iPod), great software to manage your music and MP3 player (iTunes) and then added the store so you could easily purchase the music you want. Nobody else integrated it into a compelling and easy to use package for the consumer.

Then came the iPhone. It again revolutionized the way we interact with technology with a multi touch screen and OS built around it. Now everybody is copying them. None of the fancy touch screen phones out there would exist today as they do without Apple paving the way. I guarantee that.

So now keep an eye on the iPad. I think that story is just unfolding and it will again revolutionize mobile computing and communication and how we read/interact with newspapers, magazines and books. Apple is an innovator and leader not a copier like everybody else. They take new technology and integrate it into well designed, stylish and easy to use devices and then everybody else runs to catch up. If that sounds to much like a fanboy statement to you well to bad; it's reality.

Also, if you think that Apple really wants to slow down development of the iPhone which will stifle innovation then I think you are sadly mistaken. Apple is built on a culture of innovation and they will bring out newer and better iPhones every year regardless of what the competition is doing. I think Apple likes competition because it helps motivate them to keep a step ahead of everybody else. All these articles are just stupid statements by anti-Apple media. I know people inside Apple and they are highly motivated to make the best stuff they can. They are not sitting around saying "Man I hope we win that patent lawsuit so we can slow down development on the next iThingy".