Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-23-2010, 01:44 AM

Purple is on a distinguished road

If I remember correctly, when Starry was researching bringing things over the border, if you are caught trying to bring some corals across the border they will even seize your vehicle!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:48 AM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Purple;If I remember correctly, when Starry was researching bringing things over the border, if you are caught trying to bring some corals across the border they will even seize your vehicle!

Hi Purple,

Yeah, I was told the same by a friend that works at the border!

Leah
Old 01-23-2010, 05:27 AM
bvlester

I do not know about you, but if you did your home work filled out the import papers and played the import money it would work. I believe there is no issue with aqua cultured corals as they are a self supporting industry. Corals taken from the wild you do need a special permit for. LFS's would never be able to import them other wise. Don't get me wrong but if it is illegal for the general public then it would be illegal for the LFS's. The general public just has to jump through all the hoops every time you do anything.

Bill
Old 01-23-2010, 05:55 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

A butterfly collector was fined twenty five thousand dollarsfor importing a butterfly without a permit
Breaking CITES rules are treated seriously not like smuggling a dozen Miller./
Old 01-23-2010, 06:06 AM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvlester View Post
I do not know about you, but if you did your home work filled out the import papers and played the import money it would work. I believe there is no issue with aqua cultured corals as they are a self supporting industry. Corals taken from the wild you do need a special permit for. LFS's would never be able to import them other wise. Don't get me wrong but if it is illegal for the general public then it would be illegal for the LFS's. The general public just has to jump through all the hoops every time you do anything.

Bill
The exporter in the US is required to obtain a CITES re-export permit. No import permit is required by the Canadian LFS or importer. All corals, wild or cultured, are required to have CITES export permits (or re-export for US origin shipments).

The requirements are the same for commercial importers (LFS) as it is for the general public. The government isn't making you jump through any more hoops than a commercial importer. It is just more cost effective for the commercial importers to import corals due to economy of scale.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:02 AM
bvlester

I have shipped alot of stuff up here from the US I do know most all paper work is done by the US exporter but I have had to fill out some paper work at customs office both personal and commercial but it seems on the personal side it happened more often. It's not a big deal I'll bet that the import paperwork mentioned above is the customs paper work, I believe that I had to declare what I was importing when it was personal items for customs fees amybe. I have read some where that places may require an order over a perdetermined $ amount. Now that is not from a exporter just some thing that I have read on a forum some where and believe me this issue has been talked about on most canadian forums.

Bill

Last edited by bvlester; 01-23-2010 at 07:08 AM.