Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:08 PM

bassman is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to create a thread that does not allow replies?

Maybe there could be an area that allows members to post that they have a negative review to share but in order to learn about it the poster must be contacted outside of the forum via e-mail, phone, etc? No names would allowed. The poster could state the general geographical region, if it is hardware related or livestock, etc. Just to narrow down the posts a bit.

This would "take it outside" the forum, give members the option to learn about the negatives as well as the positives and would put the task of dealing with the back lash created by the review on the original poster.

230 mixed reef / 230 gal sump/fuge
Old 04-16-2008, 08:13 PM

dogboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
Is it possible to create a thread that does not allow replies?

Maybe there could be an area that allows members to post that they have a negative review to share but in order to learn about it the poster must be contacted outside of the forum via e-mail, phone, etc? No names would allowed. The poster could state the general geographical region, if it is hardware related or livestock, etc. Just to narrow down the posts a bit.

This would "take it outside" the forum, give members the option to learn about the negatives as well as the positives and would put the task of dealing with the back lash created by the review on the original poster.
Do you think that might creat a bit of a problem due to the fact that someone can post things about another reefer and that person has no way to defend themselves other then start a new thread to critisize the original poster? (if that makes any sense lol)
Old 04-16-2008, 08:15 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

I hear you, it can be very frustrating for both members and staff as if there is one particular sponsor/vendor that is having issues it must not be brought up by name. I understand the business side of it as well. This web site require the donations/sponsorship of the vendors in order to exist. It is advertising for them and in some instances they provide discounts to members. Now I will play devils advocate for a bit, If I was a vendor and a member had a problem with a service that I provided, I wouldn't want that member slamming me on the website. As a business owner myself I have a policy in my shop."If you like what we do, tell your friends. If you don't like what we do, tell me". It states this as it give me the provider of the service or part to get first crack at making it right. I might have hundreds of very satisfied customers but I would think twice about advertising on a website that allows 2or 3 unhappy people who are quick to name, names rather than trying to work it out with me first. It is all about customer satisfaction. Now from the other point. If there was one particular vendor that was constantly providing poor service to the members I would like to see that vendor pulled from the website, but here is the catch. How do you tell without naming names in a thread? I think there should be a members only spot on the website that vendors cannot have axcess to and staff and members can share the good and bad experiences regarding sponsoring vendors. Then staff can see if a vendor is providing poor service or not. Is this a possibility, probably not but who knows. There is also the private message avenue as well. Maybe some of the CR staff can address this better than I can.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:40 PM

bassman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
Do you think that might creat a bit of a problem due to the fact that someone can post things about another reefer and that person has no way to defend themselves other then start a new thread to critisize the original poster? (if that makes any sense lol)
I am not sure how the reefer being discussed would know he/she is being discussed as no names would be allowed. However If he/she had anything to say or ask he/she would contact the original poster via email. It's no different then me and a fellow reefer discussing another reefer face to face or over the email, the reefer in question wouldn't be there to defend himself either.

230 mixed reef / 230 gal sump/fuge
Old 04-16-2008, 08:45 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Here's the best we can do.

If you're about to order something online and you're suffering from anxiety, post asking for PMs of others experiences.
seems like a plan, just make sure to clear your in-box.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:49 PM

24storm is on a distinguished road

If someone was to post up a thread asking for peoples experiences with a company via PM would you respond to that person only if you had a negative experience or a positive one or both? Would you even respond?

Would it be okay to start thread that said PM me for my experience with XXXX vendor. Or is this a bad idea.

Keith
Old 04-16-2008, 09:07 PM

skylord is on a distinguished road

I would be one to respond either way. If I have a good experience I tell anyone I know who needs that service. If I have a bad experience I tell everyone even if they don't want to know or want to listen.

Scott
Old 04-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I would imagine most people would respond either way. Usually people who have good experiences with stores are loyal to them and will tell anyone who will listen about how fabulous they are. Same goes for people with bad experiences.

Like Skylord for example

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:36 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

I would also be willing to respond via pm's whether it's good or bad.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:56 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Depends on the the question. If it's "have you been ever ripped off by XX?" you'll get one set of answers, if it's "considering purchasing from YY, pls give feedback good or bad" you'll get other answers. It's also a heads up to XX and YY that people are watching and gives them the opportunity to PM the buyer to clarify issues that they think might be coming back to haunt them.

I'm just wondering about the rating forum on RC and how it's done. Some how I don't think they have a team of lawyers vetting every rating, is it they're not worried about lawsuits or is the threat overated. Thinking from my Judge Judy watching, if I give negative feedback and it was true I wouldn't have much to worry about, nor would Canreef.

Can see about staying away from vendor rating as just a matter of economics.
Closed Thread