Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 PM

-=James=- is on a distinguished road

I never rinse my food.

Heres a couple posts from Randy Holmes-Farley off RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
With respect to phosphate, it is a waste of time. That's my primary point. I'm not sure if rinsing does any harm, but you could at least imagine that you are also washing away vitamins and other ingredients that might be added into the foods.

With respect to fine solid bits, I would say that I'm feeding many types of creatures, not just the fish. Corals, crabs, shrimp, anemones, ...

I thaw mine in a cup of tank water and break it up a bit (things like frozen Prime Reef), and then pour in the whole cup, or in the case of mysis, I thaw in a cup and feed with a pipette because I want my Chelmon marginalis to get more than his share of the mysis.

For refrigerated things things like Arctipods, I dose them with a pump using the whole solution they come in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
OK, let's say you have 1 mL of water at 2 ppm phosphate.

Add that to a 100 gallon tank, and the addition boosts phosphate by 0.00001 ppm. Its the big dilution factor that is the thing people misunderstand.

Also, for comparison, the TOTAL phosphate in a cube of frozen food is on the order of 3,000-10,000 ppm. Removing an mL or two of 2 ppm phosphate water is just totally lost in the noise of that huge addition.

So IMO, folks are wasting their time rinsing foods. Its like trying to save your house from a hurricane by standing in front of it to block the wind.