Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-10-2010, 05:12 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about
Default Tips for a nem/clown only tank?

The idea of keeping my Solana running in the kitchen after I transfer my sps to the bigger tank has really grown on me. Now I want to keep some type of anemone and a pair of black clowns...not sure what type yet.

What sort of things should I consider and how much flow will I need for say a RBTA or something?

The tank is 34g, will have a tiny bit of sand, few rocks, 150 mh, Tunze 9002. What I was thinking of doing is do my water changes from the big tank. Rather than toss out my 10 gallons every week or two...use those gallons to do a water change on the Solana. I figure SPS require the more pristine water but maybe I am wrong there? The 9002 does not perform well in my opinion...might that be an issue?

I have a couple mj1200s I'd want to use for flow and had an idea to attach a piece of 1/2" pvc to the intakes of each. pvc extends to the bottom of the tank and has a ton of holes drilled. This should be a very nem-friendly tank then shouldn't it?

Any advice or ideas...please share!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:23 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I'm not sure I'd recycle tank water but otherwise the idea of your Solana for an anemone species tank is full of win. Some of the greatest minds in this hobby and handsomest people I have ever known have known to run anemone tanks and doing so can only improve your standing in the world.

Skimmer being sucky is probably not as much of a concern given that anemones, when healthy, can tolerate elevated levels of nitrate but that said it's better not to test the limits. You could always start with the 9002 and see how it goes and upgrade later if need be.

The rest of the setup sounds fine. I've found that of all the anemone species I've kept, they've appreciated an alternating surge/slack cycle. Not necessary, a static flow condition will do fine but whoosh-pause-whoosh-pause simulates wave action better at the zones they typically occupy. This might not apply to all species.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:27 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Where are you? I'm sitting here staring at your grayed out name on msn. What ever happened to us man? I mean...this is NEMS I'm talkin' bout
Old 09-10-2010, 05:38 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

You could always alternate one from tank one mixed new you'd save in half your salt purchases, light has always been the issue for me for moving overall my long tentacle loves direct light on a flat surface while my bta's tend to take to slopes. If theyarent happy with flow most will move anyways and a good skimmer is essential as their buddy clowns make a ness of food and some other tankmates will steal food from slower nem's stirring up a mess. Watch the fingers on your overflow if you have one like that mine gotbit like that not easy to get off lol what kind of nem ya gettin ????
Old 09-10-2010, 05:44 AM
Gold Member

Not sure what kind would be well suited for this tank. I'm thinking the new and clowns would be all that live in there but maybe a few softies and things I don't want to risk in the sps tank? I'm sure I can just skim wetter and get more performance out of the 9002 than I've had thus far. Once I knew I was transferring it all out I gave up on the skimmer and have just relied on water changes for the last few weeks.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:47 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I think your Solana would make a wicked setup for a RBTA and then whatever clowns you prefered. Softeys like zoanthids and yellow polyps would fill it out super sharp and maybe a few smaller LPS like maybe blastos or a couple acans would all do fine together methinks.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:52 AM
Gold Member

Wicked man. I'll be over with a styro box and a bucket in 20 min
Old 09-10-2010, 05:30 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Good idea! I recycle the water from my 90 into my 20 Zoa tank, and it works well. In my case, the 20 stays too clean with just the Zoas in there, so the addition of "used" water really helps them. In your case, the anemone will make tonnes of waste, so that shouldn't be an issue.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Gold Member

With a BTA will running BB work? I want to be able to vacuum detritus out and that doesn't work too well with a sandbed.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:44 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

cant see why not, they like the rocks anyways and their food comes from light and target feeding, ive never had one with a barebottom tank so its just speculations i could be way off lol you gettin a rose???