Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-18-2009, 05:24 PM

Powertec is on a distinguished road
Default LFS that lie.

It amazes me with the internet as a main source of info for marine equipment, that a LFS finds it ok to lie about a product they sell with no respect for the consumer.

If you dont know just say so, dont make up stuff in which you dont know.

When i buy equipment i find out all i can before i buy, but then to have someone from the store just lie about something to try to sound smart show no respect to me or the LFS itself.

I guess i am glad for mailorder anymore.

Sorry for the rant, i just cant believe this is still happening.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:40 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

I'd have to say that I totally agree. Nothing hurts this industry more than being lied to when purchasing something. I have become very untrustworthy of almost all LFS's that I have gone to, with the exception of a couple. It really ticks me off when I go into an LFS, there is person who is clearly new to the hobby asking for the LFS's help, and getting lied to so they can make a sale. I will tell the person after the salesman has left about the lie, but then they don't know who to believe.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:43 PM

littlefish88 is on a distinguished road

agreed, I have been in the hobby for 7 years now and have heard it all. Going to the LFS I really enjoy chatting with the knowledge ones and exchanging ideas but for the ones that think they can BS you-better to say I dont know, especially ones that just want to sell their product.
My sister when she began, got swindled into buying a compact for $500 saying its the best thing in the market, few months down the line they stopped carrying the product. I was pretty upset for the money she spent on something crappy like that.

Oh well thats one of my many stories.

Littlefish88
Old 07-18-2009, 06:09 PM

My favorite is the LFS who told my wife that she would be overdriving the t5 bulbs with the light fixture he was trying to sell her but it was not electrically possible, but little did he know that she already knew what she wanted researched it and knew he was full of it. If that wasnt enough she called me and asked.

I made me mad cause i have shopped there before, and i honestly think he thought because she was a woman she wouldnt know electrical info, in reality she knew more than him, and i was proud of her for it.

There is another lesson, woman are just as informed or more so as men in this hobby and the LFS better take note.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:23 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Powertec any more interesting rants you would like to share, you all know we like hearing them ! Larger chain locations tend to be pretty bad with this kind of thing, of course the best solution to this is researching everything you purchase, reviews are a life saver! I once had a live fish store sell me 15 red legged hermits and 1 large "Filter feeding crab". The guy placed them all in the same bag and said I would be good to go. By the time I got home the so called "filter feeding crab" had broken open and eaten 12/15 of the red legged. In the end though there loss, no repeat business on my behalf.
Levi
Old 07-18-2009, 06:45 PM

I have one more rant, but i will save it for another day. also because i am doing this from my phone and the little keyboard sucks.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

I once personally saw the owner of a local fish store tell a customer that a Derasa clam wouldn't get much bigger than it was at the store (the clam was only about 5"). So sad. It is supposedly one of the "reputable" stores here as well.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:34 PM

animallover is on a distinguished road
Default On the other side......

Hi!
I know exactly where you are all coming from, as I know we all have had one or two (or more) negative experiences with LFS, myself included. But on the other side of the pancake, I have to say I have had the most pleasurable and informative dealings with a couple of amazingly knowledgeable and generous staff members at Blue World Aquarium in Edmonton--THANKS AGAIN!!, Taylor and Cathy (hopefully I spelled your names right). If they can't answer your questions they will say so!! No lie!! Their prices are very good, too! I have had such good service and stuff from them that I will only support them and the only way I will go somewhere else is if they don't carry what I might be looking for. You have to check them out!!! In my opinion, they are the best LFS around !!!!! Kudos to Blue World!! Tracey
Old 07-18-2009, 07:50 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

+1, I have to say, I am actually pleased to hear LFS employees say "I have no idea" and then go find another more knowledgeable employee to help. Unfortunately I don't hear that very often at some stores and as a result I give them a lot less respect and business.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:57 PM

littlefish88 is on a distinguished road

Ditto Animallover,

I have had the same experience in particular with Cathy, down to earth and enjoyable to chat with, my kind of people. One pleasant LFS story for a change.

Littlefish88