Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Do you say "Merry Christmas"?
Yes 122 93.13%
No 9 6.87%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2015, 04:54 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road

I am not religious in any way but I do say merry Christmas. If the person I say it to takes offense that is their problem not mine. If you say happy Hanukah, or whatever to me my answer is thank you same to you......see its easy all this B.S. about being politically correct ****es me off!

Old 12-20-2015, 06:58 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

We only say Merry Christmas in my extended family which includes devout Muslims, Buddhist and atheist. None of the politically correct cr@p for us. I taught my girls to say and write Merry Christmas, not Xmas, which I HATE!
Old 12-20-2015, 10:12 AM

F.H is on a distinguished road

I could care less about being politically correct, but to me it simply seems more considerate to say "happy holidays" because regardless of what they celebrate, it covers all bases. It simply seems more polite. I don't understand why some people are adamant about pushing that one holiday onto others who may not celebrate it.

You wouldn't say "Eid Mubarak" to someone who's Jewish or Christian, or I wouldn't say "Happy Passover" to someone who's not Jewish, so why would I say "Merry Christmas" to people who are not Christian?

It's not a matter of offending someone, but simply a matter of being more respectful and courteous. I see nothing wrong with being polite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post

I think you've made a Seinfeld reference before as well, well done! Keep em coming hahahaha.

Last edited by F.H; 12-20-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:11 PM

Simons is on a distinguished road

Christmas to me is a winter festival nothing more. Once we realize this whole religious thing is something man made from our bronze age upbringing the better the world will become.

So I don't care what people say, to me it's more about being happy than celebrating some myth.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:11 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

Hmm, let me think about it...Merry Christmas!
Old 12-20-2015, 04:33 PM

rishu_pepper is on a distinguished road

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Brian
Old 12-20-2015, 04:45 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

It is kind of sad this has even become a topic, not only here, but elsewhere in the media. For me, it's Merry Christmas. But am not offended either by Happy Holidays, or other expressions of joy with the season. To each, his own.

I am very much a freedom kind of guy, whether it is speech, what I do, or whatever, and don't much appreciate efforts by the media, politicians, anybody, to tell me what to say and how to think.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:58 PM

toytech is on a distinguished road

why jesus`s birthday is on the 25

Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.

B. The ancient Greek writer poet and historian Lucian (in his dialogue entitled Saturnalia) describes the festival’s observance in his time. In addition to human sacrifice, he mentions these customs: widespread intoxication; going from house to house while singing naked; rape and other sexual license; and consuming human-shaped biscuits (still produced in some English and most German bakeries during the Christmas season).

C. In the 4th century CE, Christianity imported the Saturnalia festival hoping to take the pagan masses in with it. Christian leaders succeeded in converting to Christianity large numbers of pagans by promising them that they could continue to celebrate the Saturnalia as Christians.[2]

D. The problem was that there was nothing intrinsically Christian about Saturnalia. To remedy this, these Christian leaders named Saturnalia’s concluding day, December 25th, to be Jesus’ birthday

Sounds more civilized than Christmas with my family , but that's just me.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:36 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

For personal and religious reasons I do not celebrate Christmas but totally understand that for many it is a very cherished time of year. But I am surprised at how many people are offended when I do not return the greeting but just say Thank You to their well wishes.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
For personal and religious reasons I do not celebrate Christmas but totally understand that for many it is a very cherished time of year. But I am surprised at how many people are offended when I do not return the greeting but just say Thank You to their well wishes.
Really? I can't say I've ever felt anyone was offended. I read all the PC crap online, but never witnessed it in real life. Talking about this with my wife, who works in retail. They're required, and feel it's justifiable, to say happy holidays. Not everyone celebrates it and there many other festivities this time of year.

I say Merry Christmas, mostly because I have kids and for our family, it's Christmas time. But in no way would I ever be offended by someone not responding in kind. That's just ignorant.