Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-26-2010, 11:57 PM

rkelman is on a distinguished road

"Being an electrical engineer"

I'd say the OP is an expert.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:46 PM

Dolf is on a distinguished road

I'll play devils advocate. It is not at all unusual for me to be gone from the house for 16 or even 18 hours at a time. If I have some stray voltage trip the breaker at 8:00 I will come home at midnight and find everything dead from cold and lack of circulation.

A few weeks ago I gave myself a jolt when one of my Sedra pumps was putting some voltage into the tank and was actually happy that I don't run a GFCI as I really do not know how long the power would have been out. A grounding probe would be a good idea for me and I am now on the hunt for one, but I will take my chances with the rest.

I'm not saying it is the smart way of doing things, only that the thought of killing everything in my tank (again) for tripping a breaker does not appeal to me. I was out of the hobby for years after everything in my tank died due to a breaker tripping and don't care for a repeat.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:04 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

these grounding probe/GFCI discussions always end up the same way.. lots of information either way. Use them or don't use them it is up to you.. you may or may not die, who knows.

There is A LOT of experience in this hobby on this forum, can anyone say that they have been or know someone who has been seriously/critically injured? Just curious..

Anyway, not that it really matters but my take on it is this.. There must be a very very good reason why code requires us to have GFCI in areas of our homes where water and electricity can be present (ie, bathrooms, etc). To me a fish tank is no different. A body of water with a tonne of electrical components.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:06 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolf View Post
I'm not saying it is the smart way of doing things, only that the thought of killing everything in my tank (again) for tripping a breaker does not appeal to me. I was out of the hobby for years after everything in my tank died due to a breaker tripping and don't care for a repeat.
that's why you don't put your whole system on a single GFCI.