Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Han Solo

Ram3500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cool

You gotta post some pictures . It sounds so cool dangerous cool .
Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 AM

burge1234 is on a distinguished road
Default open bottom

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0074.jpg (24.7 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0070.jpg (27.2 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0072.jpg (42.4 KB, 170 views)
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

So why wouldn't you expand on the idea behind the fluval edge tank? This just looks like a really inconvenient way of doing the same thing.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:43 AM

with the fluval edge you have to keep up on water evaporation. if you dont you will always have a water level line showing. Along with the pump and heaters in view. This concept gives you a 360 view plus top view of your tank with no pumps, heaters or cords blocking your view. With what i have set up now i would have to have about 20 gallons of water to evaporate before the water level in the upper tank would change. And with a sump it will never change unless you really neglect your tank. The only piece of equipment that will be seen in the tank will be the light which i will be hanging from the ceiling. Its wont be for everybody I know that for sure but the whole concept is very neat and attractive to look at from all angles. It has also proven to be quite a conversation piece for everyone that comes over. Dont get me wrong i will never not have a traditional tank for one reason only. I cant see the bottom of this tank without the lids open which in a reef tank is the most exciting part for me. As for the fluval edge..... without an automatic top off i just see it being a pain
Old 01-28-2013, 02:07 AM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

I don't see the appeal. Seems like a Maintenance nightmare. What about oxygen exchange and beneficial evap in hotter months?

I personally don't even think it looks good. It looks messy where it meets the cabinet. Just my opinion of course. I prefer traditional set up where all my cords are hidden by the cabinet or behind the tank out of view.

Good luck. Dibs out.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

with the fluval at least you can have rockwork and coral in the tank. this way it seems like everything is below in the lower tank anyways?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I'm not saying buy an fluval edge but expand on the idea. Make it bigger and add an overflow (many have done this). You could also center the overflow instead of having it at the back to allow for 360 viewing, run an extra dummy pipe in the overflow for cords. You're likely going to light the tank so it has a partial lid anyway and you can cover the overflow with rock. Another option is a zero edge tank. Either way you'll have access from the top with the same effect.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:18 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

Pros:
open swim area
Unique conversational piece

Cons:
cleaning
Water changes unless done in sump
Coral viewing unless fowler
Coral placement and feeding
Leaky seal and flood
Removing air bubbles that may form on the higher level
Water movement in higher area may be difficult to achieve

It's a neat idea one I have mulled over for awhile myself although I'd try to have the lower portion more visible if possible and hide the plumbing differently. One thing I have learned if you think it can malfunction it will and this is why I didn't try building one. If you can get the water params right with the low flow style setup it may potentially be a good seahorse setup but feeding them would be difficult as well

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 AM
Han Solo

Ram3500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cool

Look's cool ! It just need some fish . You should grow a bunch of mangroves in the bottem tank .
Old 01-28-2013, 02:36 AM

you still have evaporation from the lower tank. I didnt just make a glass box fill it up and seal it up with no sides open. As for how it looks as i said this is just a partial set up like i said before. None of the space between the cabinet and the tank will be seen because there will be frosted glass lids. And yes I realize that you wont see the bottom of the tank there as i said before. I didnt want to show this until it was done 100% but i had a few requests so figured why not. I have built tanks before and to me it was like yup..... it is a tank just like every other one. As for your ideas sphelps I do agree with those tanks more or less the zero edge aquarium. I really like those but they can seem blurry when you look through them. Everyone has and opinion. If I had built a zero edge aquarium people would ask why not build one thats bigger or maybe smaller or why not do a traditional tank. There will always be someone that doesnt like it and feels it is there job to tell them that. You can trust me. I know of every kind of tank out there. .... But it has also been done before. I like to challenge myself and do something different. If no one ever did that we would still be in the stone age im afraid

Tags
alberta, aquarium, calagry, concept, open bottom