Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsworld View Post
TJDigital... Thank you CAPTAIN OBVIOUS! I do keep one in the sump; however I like to also monitor my tank above as the temperture is always different with the MH lights on. Perhaps in the near furture I will invest in a controller unit to monitor temp.
What about one of those "thermometers" that sticks to the outside of the tank (its like a long rectangular sticker and the temperature turns green when it hits the right number)? I know they're pretty cheesy but they're also pretty accurate

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:50 PM

manaf is on a distinguished road

hey dont worry!! mine broke in my tank too but the red stuff was still in the glass and didnt leak but the balls went everywhere and my tank is totally fine its been a month now and no problems!
Old 12-10-2009, 12:11 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Hope Griffie pulls through! He'll probably be fine. I dont think the lead in him will cause enough of a problem, since it will be only short-term exposure. The glass, not so sure. It is fairly sharp. But I guess they can regurgitate no problem so?

If your main tank temperature is that much different than your sump temperature, then I dont think you have enough water-flow going. + The 'floating thermometer' is not really accurate if the top is bobbing around sticking out of the water exposed to the lights and air just above the tank. A thermometer placed right where the tank's drain empties into the sump is the perfect spot for it. That will give you a reading pretty darn close (i'd bet less than half a degree) of your main tank provided you have correct circulation.

Sticky 'strip' thermometers are no good IMO. They measure the outside air temp/glass temp of the tank, not so much the water temp. Sorry to dissagree Christy? But tank's ive seen with those on, they always read differently than the in-tank thermometers.

Good luck with Griffie!

Chris
Old 12-10-2009, 01:24 AM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I just skimmed through this thread.. are we talking about a fish here, or a monster??? What I read was, there's something swimming in your tank that likes to puff up and throw up glass shards to maim snails so that he can ingest them whole ?!?!
I guess to anyone without a 9 inch porcupine puffer this might sound weird. I gotta say they are cool fish though. Tons of fun character. Although they do get bored after time and can kill for fun, even if its a glass thermometer.

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
Old 12-10-2009, 01:39 AM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

Guess you had better get a couple of Damsels for him to hunt... don't get Gobies, we know what happens to those already. He will never get damsels but maybe they will give him a hobby which he seems to be needing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsworld View Post
I guess to anyone without a 9 inch porcupine puffer this might sound weird. I gotta say they are cool fish though. Tons of fun character. Although they do get bored after time and can kill for fun, even if its a glass thermometer.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaf View Post
hey dont worry!! mine broke in my tank too but the red stuff was still in the glass and didnt leak but the balls went everywhere and my tank is totally fine its been a month now and no problems!
PHEW! Good to know. Glad to hear your tank suffered no ill effects as to todays date.

I'm glad Stewie (a.k.a Griffie) spit out the end of the red stick and ball, located in the glass that displayed the temp. Hmm... I don't think the red stuff can leak out, since I know my puffer broke it. I was right there and never seen red leak out. Hmm... now I wonder what the red tube is made of and if it leaks too? *scratching my head now* Never thought I would be researching every piece of a thermometer to see what its made of, after all these years of using one.

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Last edited by bulletsworld; 12-10-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:48 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Oh I was going to add:

Dont kill yourself over it, but, I would probably try to get as much of the lead balls out as you can. After all, it IS lead, lol. But definetly dont suck up all your sand over it.

Better safe than sorry though, I think?

Cheers,

Chris
Old 12-10-2009, 01:56 AM

TrailFish is on a distinguished road

I believe that the red "stuff" is just coloured alcohol commonly used in thermometers (no problem with such a small amount). The beads as everyone has said are lead shot. The lead shouldn't be a problem at the pH of your tank (i.e. won't leach over time). (If your pH dips low enough to cause leaching you have bigger problems to worrry about ). My biggest concern would be the fish ingesting glass and if its still ok then the worst has past. Have you posted of picture of this monster fish?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 View Post
If your main tank temperature is that much different than your sump temperature, then I dont think you have enough water-flow going. + The 'floating thermometer' is not really accurate if the top is bobbing around sticking out of the water exposed to the lights and air just above the tank. A thermometer placed right where the tank's drain empties into the sump is the perfect spot for it. That will give you a reading pretty darn close (i'd bet less than half a degree) of your main tank provided you have correct circulation. Sticky 'strip' thermometers are no good IMO.
You have a good point, perhaps I don't have enough water-flow going, I will look at that. With the floating thermometer, if I think to get another one, I will put in tanks drain box. That would work. Thanks for your feedback!

Old 12-10-2009, 02:34 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

I would like to see a picture of this eating machine.
Hope he pulls through swallowing glass is not a good thing not at all like a snail glass is razor sharp. Good chance he will be okay but swallowing glass is nasty stuff.