Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 08-27-2007, 04:30 PM

rudy is on a distinguished road
Default ICh

MY FOWLR has ich. Cowfish and the porcupine (both very small are affected the most)

Is there any way to treat this? I have heard it is very difficult.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:34 PM

SEAN DUFFY is on a distinguished road
Default Ich

Get A Few Cleaner Wrasses Slowly Drop Your Salinity Very Slowly
The Best Way Is To Quarantine Them And Treat Them With Copper
Make Sure You Dont Put Any Copper In Your Main Tank Minute Levels Will Kill All Invert You Can Take Them Out And Place Them In Fresh Water For A Couple Minutes
Old 08-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Be careful if you use copper, I don't think you're supposed to use it with cowfish or pufferfish because they are scaleless. Perhaps a FW dip and lowered salinity would be the way to go.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:17 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Here ya go Rudy
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html

Just be very careful as you get down to the lower salinity. Be ready to bring it back up a bit at the first sign of distress
Old 08-27-2007, 05:21 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Have you added any new inhabitants that could have introduced it? Sometimes the fish will just overcome the symptoms (though the ich is still present in your system). Ich often manifests itself when present conditions cause the fish stress. What could this be in your case?

I wouldn't rely on cleaner wrasses....I'm fairly sure they don't actually treat ich, but rather eat the dead skin off the fish that is a result of the actual parasite underneath the surface of the skin.

As Christy said, copper might not be the thing for you (try a little research on google and you can find this out with certainty). Hyposalinity might be your best bet if the symptoms don't go away on their own.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 08-27-2007, 05:45 PM

rudy is on a distinguished road

So it is not a death sentence for fish then? I always understood it was
Old 08-27-2007, 06:21 PM

Redrover is on a distinguished road
Cool

Turn temp up [ 82 ] for a week...speeds up the ICH cycle...got this from a twenty year reefer...worked for me...make sure they eat.
Good Luck

RJ

Last edited by Redrover; 08-27-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:30 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Turn temp up [ 82 ] for a week...speeds up the ICH cycle...got this from a twenty year reefer...worked for me...make sure they eat.
Good Luck
You'll just get successive generations faster. Increasing temperature won't kill the crypto by itself.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:50 PM

skylord is on a distinguished road

What I have found to be important is food. I increase the number of times I feed....not so much the amount just more often. If it looks bad I will add a little garlic. Its more for a little added flavoring because I'm not convinced garlic does anything else. Then I just sit back and wait it out. I avoid any chemicals just because I fear transfering them to the main tank.

Scott
Old 08-27-2007, 07:56 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Everyone has their own "home remedy" for ich is seems. I think in the end after you battle it a few times you just do what is right for your own tank. I know this does not say much, and perhaps I am just talking in circles

All I ever do to treat ich is soak my food in garlic before I feed, I also tend to feed a little bit more during an ich outbreak as well. I find that by keeping any added stress to a minimum, they tend to get over it within a week.

I hold true to the theory that ich is always present in our tanks. My two tangs just started getting some ich spots yesterday for no good reason. Nothing new has been added to my tank so it was not introduced from the outside.

Now by many other peoples experience here I am a newbie, only having kept salt water tanks for 2-1/2 years but in that time I have battled ich more times than I can count and I have yet to lose a fish to it.

*knock on wood* maybe just dumb luck, but I really tink people overcomplicate when it comes to ich treatment.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2