Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 09-10-2010, 12:44 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough
Default advice for my new set-up

hey guys so im in the planning process of my tank build, i have my dimensions which are 48"x42"x20". sump not designed yet but has a large area to work witim looking for some info on some more modern things like reactors dosers and monitors etc. ive been googling things and ive been browsing j&l's site for references so ill add a list and if someone could tell me what they think or their experiences or recommendations that would be a great start

auto top off- can i get a tank custom made for holding water where i have a large footprint under my tank that could fit above my sump or besaide and where its a walk around tank i cant have barrels or hoses running around ????

reactors-calcium,phosban,fluidized?? have never owned them i run carbon but not in a reactor but id like to with my new set up ,should i have all these or just some even if they are not needed in the beginning i would like to budget for it and have it in corporated into my design for later thanks

chillers- im not going to be having fans available for this set up so im going to have to go the chiller route or air conditioner .if i go chiller whats the pros and cons as ive never owned one and are they pricey for a 150g more than an air conditioner??

pin point monitors and probes,testers= never had any of them but sounds like i should looking for as much info on these as possible and which ones i would need

controllers-i want everything to be digital on this set up id like to run it from my pc and controler if possible, looking for some info on their price how they operate and how reliable they are plus any neat bonuses i may not know about

uv sterilizer-under my tank?? how does it work are they pricey do they last long should i have one ??????

i want to make this set up as modern and as automated as possible plus safe.which is the exact opposite of all my other set ups.ive always manually cleaned dose tested added and watched for problems loli dont know what ill have for livestock yet the skys the limit

anyone have anything else they can think of to add to my list would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Hey Reefwars,

Good to see another new build, will love to stay with this thread to see your progress.

Auto top-off: I personally use the tunze model, it isn't cheap, but it has never failed me, and with infra-red sensor it is the most accurate. I do hear others with DIY models, so maybe someone can forward you a design plan.

Reactors: I personally run 3 reactors, 2 deltecs for my NP bioPellets, and one for the carbon... they just allow water to flow nicely through things for maximum exposure the the media.

Chillers: I don't personally run one, house is climate controlled, so I am lucky. Personally I wouldn't buy one right away. See how all the equipment runs with the system and how it increases the water temp. if you need one, then seek one out.

Pin Point Monitors: Personally I would love a high-end Mg or Ca, don't have either yet, and Mg isn't available. One day I will be able to buy both, and save money on test kits. For PH, Temp, ALK I would just use test kits, they are cheaper than any probe.

Controllers: sure if it is in the budget. I myself want one, but don't have a clue what to buy.

UV sterilizer: This will depend what you are going to have and how you are going to manage them. If you are doing a reef, and running Zeo, BioPellets or anything like that, then I don't recomment the UV. If you also have sufficient skimming and filtration, then again I don't recomment UV. It will all depend on your decisions.

My suggestions:
- don't go budget on the skimmer, get high quality and make sure it can handle more than what your system is.
- with a reef environment I would also invest in flow. Look at the Vortech's. They are not cheap, but well worth the money
- Lighting is also key, I personally recommend MH (Metal Halide), but many have great success with T5HO's... Do your research there, and don't go cheap.

Lastly have fun!!!!

Rick

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 09-10-2010, 02:08 AM
R.I.P.

thanks for the advice, for my skimmer im going to be using my vertex in-180 my tank is going to be around 150-200g and im going to be using my mag 12 if possible im going to be looking into the vortechs as well my problem is the tank is 4'x4' square so i need flow to travel everywhere ill have three return lines ran through the over flow and im thinking thats where the vortechs or other power heads will come in, im not keen on power heads especially in this tank lol

i am seriously wanting the controller im lookin at some ideas and its going to be a huge part of my budget

agreed on the chiller untill next summer anyways im just in the curious stages

not sure yet on the dosing either as im still info'ing around im liking what i hear about zeovit and im still undecided if im going to run pellets.my problem is if i dont incorporate or allow for space now i wont have it later ,this tank is going to sit right in my dining room right in the middle of the floor to walk around

how about co2 what are people using it for and is it something i should be looking into or need??
Old 09-10-2010, 03:34 AM

fencer is on a distinguished road

APEX get one
Need a calcium reactor
Need an RO/DI unit
Ken has those next reef media reactors much better than the smaller phosban'....all I run is GFO and Carbon
ATO...nice but do you trust them
Save the dosers for later
Stay away for now from ion selective probes buy a couple of elos or salifert kits
Chiller and UV do not have one

Last edited by fencer; 09-10-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:37 AM
R.I.P.

haha good timing i was just reading on the apex aquacontoller3 pro and it looks sweet any thoughts???
Old 09-10-2010, 03:42 AM

Just Apex the AC 3 are way different
Oh .....either tunze or vortecs
Old 09-10-2010, 04:33 AM

Jeff_ is on a distinguished road

+1 on the apex
Good support from neptune, and there are some good guides out there on setup.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:23 AM
R.I.P.

Agreed completelyi just spent all night reading on these and I gotta say must have for my new tank, I am a spontanious person so it's nice to checkin on my tank while onthe go, the price isn't back breaking and i like the sunset/sunrise and moon settings
Old 09-10-2010, 06:11 AM

check with steve at red coral i believe he is going to order soon
Old 09-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

As for space if the basement isn't developed why not build a stand down there for all your equipment right under your dining room? You can make it extra high so you're not really pumping too far up either and it's at a nice height to work at. Noise will also all be down there.