Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-29-2010, 01:30 AM

Magma is on a distinguished road
Default BTA Split!

So our BTA moved today for the first time like 3 months and he went into a corner, became nice and small and we left to do some shopping etc. come home and now i can see 2 feet and looks like hes tearing himself apart in the middle.

should i be giving it any special care now? I did a PWC this morning before I noticed him moving today and all my levels seem great.

I notice one half looks really stringy and ugly
Old 12-29-2010, 03:56 AM

SeanPrest is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to SeanPrest

i had one split. just leave it too do its thing. keep an eye on it though and make sure it doesnt start looking whiteish, and stringy. it should heal up on the tear on its own.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:00 AM

it has had white spots on it since I got him but he was under a really bad light before i got him, so I figured that was normal...
Old 12-29-2010, 04:30 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
So our BTA moved today for the first time like 3 months and he went into a corner, became nice and small and we left to do some shopping etc. come home and now i can see 2 feet and looks like hes tearing himself apart in the middle.

should i be giving it any special care now? I did a PWC this morning before I noticed him moving today and all my levels seem great.

I notice one half looks really stringy and ugly

they tend to split during water changes and difference in temperature and being overfed in your case id say the waterchange triggered it, the little bta i have split the first night in my tank lol just leave it be theres not a whole lot you can do for it ,after a split though they tend to walk around to find a spot to settle so watch your powerheads or filters/overflow
Old 12-29-2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
they tend to split during water changes and difference in temperature and being overfed in your case id say the waterchange triggered it, the little bta i have split the first night in my tank lol just leave it be theres not a whole lot you can do for it ,after a split though they tend to walk around to find a spot to settle so watch your powerheads or filters/overflow
well i fed it last night and did a PWC today lol so guess i did both both halfs seem to be doing a lot better, they started to bubble up a little more and starting to move away from each other, one of course is heading toward the back of the tank...
Old 12-29-2010, 05:39 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

MINE DID THE SAME THING, OVER-FEEDING AND WATER PARAMETER CHANGE BOTH HAVE A HAND IN THIS, KEEP FEEDING THEM FOR A BIT UNTIL THEY ARE BACK TO WHAT IT LOOK LIKE BEFORE THEN YOU CAN CUT BACK TO MAYBE ONCE A WEEK. THAT IS IF YOU WANT THEM TO STAY THE SAME SIZE AND NOT SPLIT AGAIN.

CONGRATS, NOW YOU HAVE 2 BTA.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013