Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-25-2006, 12:30 AM

Quagmire is on a distinguished road

Vortech are new,but we have been waiting impatiently for them.Dont know if anyone has one yet,but from what a few of us have read they look fantastic.
As for head pressure loss,there are alot of variables to consider.The head loss for your pump itself(this should be on the box,marked for differant hights)The length and diamiter of your pipe,and the amount of elbows and outlet fittings.There should be a headloss calc in our library I think.I'll take a look around to see if I can find it.

Ohh and also,I agree that you dont need alot of flow from your takn to the sump if you go that way.But you do want enough flow to keep the crap from settling.Unless you go BB sump and clean it out when it gathers up.I have 800 GPH through my overflow.( even thats more than is needed) And a second pump in the sump to keep everything suspended,so the skimmer can take it out.
Couldn't find the calc in our library,Im sure its thre somewhere.Here another link.
Just figure out what pump and the legnth/diameter of the pipe you are useing,and add in the corners.

http://reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

Last edited by Quagmire; 07-25-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:38 AM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

i'm debating on going with the (3) 250w unit instead of the (3) 175 w unit. is there a real benefit in upgrading?

my tank setup
Old 07-27-2006, 08:03 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

If you look at my recent posts you'll see pics of my tanks & the tunzes...

As for advantages to 250W lights, you will be more or less unlimited as to what kind of corals you want to keep, whereas 175W will mean you will only be able to keep less light demanding corals. Personally if it's feasible I would go with the 250's.
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 07-27-2006, 03:54 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

If you really want a nice setup that you can use to upgrade down the road too, then I would definately go with 250w halides.

Don't use a Dart on a closed loop, too much flow. Use a 400-500gph pump, maybe a mag7.

I run a baracuda on a closed loop manifold with 7 x 1/2" loc lines, I am happy with it, but it depends on your setup, mine is hidden in a fish room so no problem about PVC all over the place. I like being able to tweak my water flow whenever I want. The vortech pumps look awesome, aren't they really expensive though?

Also I would consider upping the skimmer to a g4x, or bigger. Whatever will fit under your stand. You can't really overskim, and you can upgrade to a bigger tank, or add tanks to the common sump down the road then.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:36 PM

thanks for the info guys. yeah the vortech pumps are really expensive. its funny that you mention about the g4 reefgeek because just yesterday at the LFS i was mentioning going bigger to a g4 for the potential of upgrading and they said they would cut me a deal. the owner told me that he had the stand made a little taller for me to allow for more room for the skimmer.

my tank setup
Old 07-27-2006, 06:42 PM

The G4 is 24" tall, the G4X is 30" tall, and should only be $20 more.

I used to import ASM skimmers, compare the LFS pricing to:

www.asmskimmer.com

The G4X is only $10 US more expensive on that site than the G4.

See if asmskimmer will ship via USPS then your brokerage is cheap, and all you have to pay is $5.00 brokerage, plus the shipping and of course GST but you pay that regardless.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:10 PM

cool thanks reefgeek. well guys i bought the 250w unit this morning. i thought it was worth the extra $. its better to spend a little more now then do it later and have to spend alot more. hidden reef is an awesome store. they do all they can to make their customers happy. once their website is up and running then you'll know what i mean. i was in yesterday planning out the plumbing a bit. well i'm not really planning i'm leaving it up to mark at hidden reef to decide. if you have seen pics of his system you'll know why i'm leaving it to him. i think the closed loop system will work better for what i need it for and then later if need be i'll pick up a vortech or 2. my stand should arrive at the store of friday and then i'm just waiting to get a hold of a used 55gal so that i can drill it for sump and start the plumbing. i was going to use my current tank but if i can i'd like to keep it running until the new tank is setup and then just trade in the 55g.

my tank setup
Old 07-28-2006, 12:48 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

If you are thinking of going with an ASM skimmer upgrade go to the G4X. I have both and IMO the G4 is a POS - seriously underpowered unless they have changed the pump from the Sedra 5000.
On my 190 I have a closed loop run with a Sequence Hammerhead that then goes through an Ocean Motions 4 way with each of the 4 outlets split giving me 8 returns to the tank. The OM devise is really cool and makes for good rolling flow along the tank. I also have 2 Tunze 6200 in this tank so it is high flow but I don't find the closed loop provides too much flow at all. Definately more from the Tunzes.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:53 AM

G4 comes with a 9000 from I can see, the G4X is just a bit taller, allowing more dwell time.

I would use that as a recirculating pump to get the most out of it, and use a smaller feed pump, or your drain line would be best.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:21 AM

yeah the G4 comes with the sedra 9000 pump. is there better skimmers for the same price?

my tank setup