Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-14-2001, 05:00 AM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer
Default scott, marc, troy ...need your help!!!

hey guys,
i need your help. i just got a piece of the large xenia from scott. and it looked fine when i put it in the tank, but a few hours later it looked all bloated and inflated. this morning it was OK looking but limp,not up and pumping. i just got home from work and it was limp, like withering away limp, and it had large cuts on the base, just below where the heads form. so i did an emergency fragging of the heads, but they look like they are wasted away and dientegrating as we speak. they may be a lost cause by now.

anyways , have you guys or anyone else who has this type of xenia seen this before? any ideas on what happened?

TIA,
shao
Old 12-14-2001, 12:10 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Xenia is hit and miss when transferring from one tank to another. Basically if it is somehow not going to make the transition you will know right away, it will just melt away within hours or up to maybe a few days. I wouldn't take it personally unless this happens time and again, but unfortunately this does happen sometimes.
Old 12-14-2001, 01:35 PM

DJ88 is on a distinguished road

I'd have to agree Shao.

My Xenia made it through a move across victoria. Yet when I moved here it died immediately..

Touchy stuff....
Old 12-14-2001, 03:18 PM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Hi,

A silly question, I was wondering if you provided enough circulation to the Xenia to slough off the mucus (i.e. more less...have a powerhead blow indirectly at it) ?

What's your pH ? Low pH will stress Xenia.

If your xenias are dying...I suggest you put in a new batch of carbon in your system to remove any toxins that they release.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.
Old 12-14-2001, 03:29 PM

BCReefer is on a distinguished road

I received a frag from Andrew about 3 – 4 weeks ago. Sometimes when I looked at it, it would be very small and shruken. Other times it would be total stretched out, but for some reason I never really saw it pumping. 2 days ago a snail tipped it over so I looked for a better place to put it. In the new place, the Xenia is pumping and looks really happy. This new location has more light but less water movement.

Not sure if this helps?

Patrick
Old 12-14-2001, 05:01 PM
Gold Member

thanks for the input guys.

FWIW ive never had aproblem with low pH. and yup, it was in a spot with good flow.

well it looks like one of the heads is still "alive", the others look wilted and are having a near death experience. cest la vie.

i guess i'm just frustrated cuz xenias are one of my favorite corals.

scott,good to hear the frogspawn is happy. its one of my favorites also, one of my oldest corals too.
Old 12-15-2001, 04:19 AM

Shadetree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Shadetree

Shao,

Can't offer much help other than maybe the 400's are too much light on them right away. The frogspawn looks really good, the branching star polyps are out much yet.

Scott
Old 12-15-2001, 02:11 PM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

Hit and miss about sums it up with Xenia, like Tony said. Light is Xenia's biggest requirement as you'll see when watching it's growth pattern. That stuff I got was uneffected by my tank's declining conditions and yet in Dale's tank's prestine conditions, crashed. I've often heard the low pH/alk being hard on Xenia but this isn't my experience. The species I had pumped and thrived under any pH or alk.

Shao, I would suggest, if possible, not to frag it in your main system and if you do run some carbon for a couple of days. This is just a precaution but one worth it in my NSHO [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] .
Old 12-19-2001, 01:06 AM

canadawest is on a distinguished road

I've got Xenia frags ready for homes if anyone is interested (Shao)? Will trade for other frags.

Only two people I know have had problems with my generations. Tigger (Steve) lost the first frag he got from me, but as far as I know the second one I gave him is doing fine. And Lori at Paul's Aquariums is having trouble with a couple frags she got from me a month or so ago. Otherwise the other couple dozen that have left my tank for new homes have been impossible to kill! [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

(I know I couldn't kill mine off if I tried!) [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2001, 10:04 PM
Gold Member

thanks for the offer andrew, but i have elongata. and i have, had or should i say am trying to keep the larger type from scott.

just a FYI, the base of the xenia disentigrated> expelling tons of nutrients into my tank...skimmer was working overtime...lost 1 xenia head for sure, one still looks like it is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, 2 look like theyre winning the battle, and 1 looks like its pulling through.

xenias are my favorite, tho i am quite sure they will all remain in my refugium> dont want them encroaching on my sps. i am may try some in a few select spots in the main tank one day. so i am always looking for different types of xenias. *hint, hint nudge nudge, marc [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]*

later guys.