Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-09-2016, 02:37 AM

itsmeraja86 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the heads up..

As a matter of fact cost of each and every product has gone up.. my budget has to be altered.. Since i am currently running a 29G barebottom without a Sump.. this 180 is a whole different ball game.. water change of 10% is over 50% of my current volume .. and sump is new to me.. Siphon and reverse siphon when power outage.. reading all about the fail safe .. options for closed loop or wave makers... all readings is in process for about 4 months now.. any help is much appreciated..
Old 02-09-2016, 10:38 AM

corpusse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
Cost of glass have gone up significantly due to exchange rate. Prepare yourself!
Ouch. I always thought glass was made in Canada that's why there are no acrylic tank makers here because glass is so much cheaper here vs in the US...
Old 02-09-2016, 04:42 PM

gmann is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpusse View Post
Ouch. I always thought glass was made in Canada that's why there are no acrylic tank makers here because glass is so much cheaper here vs in the US...
why sell here when you can sell down there for more.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:57 AM

I am in the process of requesting quotes from the Miracle aquarium, Primoreefacrylic and concept aquarium. I know what size of the tank i would need 72x24x24 however the major question is around how many Drain holes and size as well as how many return holes and size of the hole required.

This might be a dumb question but since i am running a sumpless system i have no idea what is ideal and good solution .

Also Internal overflow vs external overflow ( i liked the left right corner internal overflow but not sure if that has any drawbacks).

I am also needing guidance on fail safe overflow options like drilling a 3/4" hole just above the waterline to have water reverse siphon only limited water that can be accomodated by my sump.

One last question is how big of a sump i need for this 180(72x24x24)
Old 02-11-2016, 05:10 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeraja86 View Post
I have a similar size display and I have never regretted going with a 90g wide sump (48x24x18 tall). Lots of space to hold skimmers, media reactors, filter socks, macroalgae, return pump, etc. Also no issue with overflowing a big sump when you shut off the return pump and your system drains a bit into the sump.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:23 AM

iamfrontosa is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeraja86 View Post
I am in the process of requesting quotes from the Miracle aquarium, Primoreefacrylic and concept aquarium. I know what size of the tank i would need 72x24x24 however the major question is around how many Drain holes and size as well as how many return holes and size of the hole required.

This might be a dumb question but since i am running a sumpless system i have no idea what is ideal and good solution .

Also Internal overflow vs external overflow ( i liked the left right corner internal overflow but not sure if that has any drawbacks).

I am also needing guidance on fail safe overflow options like drilling a 3/4" hole just above the waterline to have water reverse siphon only limited water that can be accomodated by my sump.

You don't want to drill above the water line, or else water will be shooting out everywhere when the pump is running. You shouldn't even need to drill holes for back siphon if you tank is built correctly.

Your return line should not be too low (below water line) that your sump can not handle all the extra volume when the pump is shut off. If you order from Dave (Concepts), you can just let him know what you want, say a Herbie system (same as mine). I went with internal centre overflow. I like the clean look. But my next tank will be external. Just so I will have more room inside the tank.

You can let him know which return pump you will be running, and Dave can take care of the plumping headaches for you. You might as well order sump from Dave if you are going to use him anyway.

He usually draws up a nice sketch before the build for your review.

By the way, I am not working for Concepts. I am just another customer that bought a tank, sump, stand, and plumping from him. I was in your shoes too. I had the exact same questions as you. Good luck !
Old 02-11-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
I have a similar size display and I have never regretted going with a 90g wide sump (48x24x18 tall). Lots of space to hold skimmers, media reactors, filter socks, macroalgae, return pump, etc. Also no issue with overflowing a big sump when you shut off the return pump and your system drains a bit into the sump.
ok.. I red in few forums that tall is not a ideal sump set up coz longer it is more usable room than just water capacity.. but if i have enough room under the tank .. i would definitely go for a 90G sump
Old 02-11-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfrontosa View Post
You don't want to drill above the water line, or else water will be shooting out everywhere when the pump is running. You shouldn't even need to drill holes for back siphon if you tank is built correctly.

Your return line should not be too low (below water line) that your sump can not handle all the extra volume when the pump is shut off. If you order from Dave (Concepts), you can just let him know what you want, say a Herbie system (same as mine). I went with internal centre overflow. I like the clean look. But my next tank will be external. Just so I will have more room inside the tank.

You can let him know which return pump you will be running, and Dave can take care of the plumping headaches for you. You might as well order sump from Dave if you are going to use him anyway.

He usually draws up a nice sketch before the build for your review.

By the way, I am not working for Concepts. I am just another customer that bought a tank, sump, stand, and plumping from him. I was in your shoes too. I had the exact same questions as you. Good luck !
Awesome.. i will give them a call and update how it went...
Old 02-11-2016, 07:48 PM

I tried getting quote from Concept aquarium, primo reef acrylics, Miracle and few other local stores.

only had success with Primo rest of them are busy and can giv eme quote only late next week.

Here is the quote he told.

Tank:
180(72x24x24)
19mm bottom
12mm walls
starphire front
-dual internal overflow
-inside bottom euro braces 2"
- 3.5" top eurobraces
Price -$2000
wihtout starphire - $1800
cost to cost overflow custom CNC - $300

SumpAcrylic)
40x20x18(62G)
-3/8" Walls
-3/8" baffles
Price: $950

ATO (5"x20"x18")- $300
Shipping -$100

Thoughts on the price please..

any good place for custom aquarium stand (including the top) looking for something that covers top and side.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:04 PM

gmann is on a distinguished road

concept should be able to beat that. Shipping might be your issue though.

I paid similar to what you got quoted. Just be prepared to go over budget.

Tags
starfire