Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-25-2008, 05:43 AM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Well, if he starts eating the valonia (which I've seen mentioned in a few places that they do?) and once hes done with your tank, he's coming to stay in my new tank! (75g, 100lbs of rock covered in valonia too )
Old 11-25-2008, 05:45 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazerine View Post
Well, if he starts eating the valonia (which I've seen mentioned in a few places that they do?) and once hes done with your tank, he's coming to stay in my new tank! (75g, 100lbs of rock covered in valonia too )
He'll get too big for your 75g, but he'd like your 120g!

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:52 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Drock is right, the kole tang requires film algae as a major part of its diet.
You have to keep one side of the glass 'unclean' and it will suck the film algae on it all day.
It is also a good idea to pile a bunch of those smooth 1.5-2 inch stones which will also be covered with film algae.
I have never seen any tang I have every kept eat valonia nor have I read anything that would suggest that. Where did you get that info?
It is not a good idea to buy a tiny fish which will outgrow its tank sooner than you think even though you have the present intent to upgrade later.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:57 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
I have never seen any tang I have every kept eat valonia nor have I read anything that would suggest that. Where did you get that info?
It is not a good idea to buy a tiny fish which will outgrow its tank sooner than you think even though you have the present intent to upgrade later.
There have been many suggestions on this board by some of the more experienced reefers to try a Tang on the Valonia. A quick Google search suggests Tangs as well.

I have absolutely no plans of upgrading the tank. One of two things will happen; he will eat the Valonia, it will run out, and he will need a new home; or he won't eat the Valonia and he will need a new home. Read the first paragraph of the last post on the first page. Honestly, he has a better chance of living to a ripe old healthy age through making a pit stop at my tank than he did hanging out at the LFS. The LFS sold him to me knowing full well I had a 33g tank. I won't sell him on to someone who has a tank that's too small for him. He will get a handpicked home after me, so he's lucky to be in my tank for now.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-25-2008 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:28 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
Mine does and he and the foxface play football with the large loose ones

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 11-25-2008, 02:35 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

I was meaning caulpera in my tank, not yours

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 11-25-2008, 03:31 PM

Bugsy is on a distinguished road

This stuff is nasty, but one thing I can tell you is that if you keep trimming it or popping those they just spread even more. You must remove these without popping them. In my past 10 gal I had like 3 of them, I carefully took out that piece of rock, over to the sink I went and with a knife I carefully got underneith them and they came off fully intact like bubbles and did not burst. I never had anymore from that time on and it was 4 years from that time.

Hate to tell you this but Tangs will not touch this stuff, they look for soft algae they can pick off the rocks. He is cute though, enjoy him and if you don't have alot of the algae he would normally eat do make sure you supplement him with some seaweed sheets, they love these and are very good for them. You can pick them up cheaper at the health food stores than the pets stores, aslo called Nori . They come in red, green or brown sheets and Tangs will just love you for this along with regular fish foods.

Hope this helps and you can get this under control, enjoy your new fishy too I love tangs.....

Amy
Old 11-25-2008, 03:47 PM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

Trying to take them off without popping them will not work in Myka's case she has way to many.
I would say changing your bulb color to more blue will definitely help. Algae definitely does not grow as well under the higher K range.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:52 PM

Drock169 is on a distinguished road

In addition, even though your phos are undectable, most likely the PO4 is being absorbed by the valonia first, valonia is excellent at scavenging PO4 in low nutrient systems. Honestly I would use a combination of manual removal for large ones in a separate container and a lot of emerald crabs for the small ones.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Hey Myka,

I will keep my eye's out for an Emerald crab for you...Complete pet gets them in periodically.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.