Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 10-15-2009, 05:17 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road
Default How do the Mag Flips work?

Just wondering for those who use the mag flips. How do they work. I sort of fooled around with one once a long time ago. Does it work if you can't turn a corner? I have a tank viewable from the 2 long sides with no access to get to the end panels with a magnet. Can you flip it from a flat surface? How does it work with coraline algae. I'm just starting to get coraline growth now, so I'm just planning ahead. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:42 AM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

I have one in my 110. It's the medium model and I really should have bought the large for a stronger hold. I bought it from J&L and to the best of my knowledge it's the only model they sell. As far as operation goes, the flipping technique is something you have to practice a few times but after a while there's nothing to it. The blade side works for stubborn green algae but it won't touch coraline. The pad side does not work as well as the Mag Float. I really find mine useful for scraping the corners close to the silicone where the Mag Float just doesn't seem to work. It definitely has it's place in my tank, I think the larger size could even replace my Mag Float.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:22 AM

Richer is on a distinguished road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuCs4ezwRRk
Old 10-15-2009, 08:11 AM

str255 is on a distinguished road

I use my MagFlip only where the rockwork is very close to the tank wall (the MagFlip is much thinner than the MagFloat)... otherwise I find the MagFloats work much, much better.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:23 PM

Thanks for all the response. Hmmmm, still on the fence about it. We'll see I guess.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:42 PM

w00t is on a distinguished road

I really like mine but there are things they should improve. I found the stock scrub side pad was really ineffective compared to the mag floats, so I took the pad off and bought a replacement mag float pad and put it on there and now it works MUCH better.

Other than that the scraper works well, especially for getting right up against the edges and down near the sand. I do with the magnets were stronger though.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:49 PM

Anyone have one on 1/2" glass? I can't seem to find anywhere that has the large model in stock.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

My glass is 1/2". Like I said earlier the large model should work great if you can find one. I bought mine from J&L, they only list one model and when I received it, it was the medium. Still works OK.