Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Blue World Aquatic

Old 04-28-2011, 05:32 PM

clowningaround is on a distinguished road
Smile Good For Bean....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWorldAquatic View Post
Not too often do I see our practices and procedures pushed to the limit, but when I do, I am happy to see it.

I was at the store later than normal today, and was acclimatin an order that Air Canada screwed up on (was delayed & bumped on 3 flights), so I wasn't in too good of a mood since some of the fish weren't looking too happy.

But as I was checking out the new stock, in the corner of my eye I noticed that Bean was talking to a NEW customer. I took notice on how she was giving this new customer the third degree, and was asking him lots of questions. I heard "2 week old tank", but didn't interrupt. Then I heard, "We don't sell fish when we know they are just going to die".

Then I saw the customer storm out of the store, mumbling "I'll get it elsewhere."

So I asked Bean what the problem was, thinking we upset the customer somehow.

She told me the customer had "just cycled" his tank that was set up 2 weeks ago, but did not test anything. When prompted we'd be happy to test a water sample for him, he refused to waste his time to driver home to get a sample but wanted a fish.

Lynsey refused to sell the fish to him due to not knowing if the tank was "READY".

Cudos to you Lyndsy, putting health before profit. Happy to have you aboard.

Ken
That is awsome Bean.. Like i said,stick with what you beleive and don't second guess yourself. We all stand behind you with a right decision like that.Good job!!-Shan-
Old 04-28-2011, 06:12 PM

sgreen is on a distinguished road

Before we have purchased any fish or anything else from Blue World, Lyndsy has always asked questions as to (in the beginning when we were first new to saltwater) our tank size, other fish that are already in the tank and any we would like to add later. She knows now that we have numerous tanks ranging in size and will still ask which tank we are putting what ever into. Most people that we have talked to in all stores, including Steve at Red Coral and staff at AI have given us good advice as to what we should have in the tank sizes we have and what fish are compatible. Some things that we have asked about get huge when they are full grown!!! Lyndsy has discouraged us from making purchases that are really cute when they are small and we are thankful for her advice. And the person, whom was in the store, does have other stores to purchase from but hopefully staff there will be as insistent as she was.

I have learned that in the saltwater hobby, as life itself can be, PATIENCE is a Virtue! We all get impatient and want to have a system like Dez's or even Wes' right away but aquariums like theirs take time to establish. I can only hope that in time ours will look some what similar to theirs. Ken, you are very fortunate at Blue world to have all staff like you do who know what they are talking about and are not afraid to speak up and discourage potential purchases when needed. Kudos to all saltwater store employees who actually give a damn!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

Patience is a definatly a virtue in this hobby.

But with new advances you CAN take the fast track, or if you are knowledgeable like Dez & Wes.

I remember Dez coming into the store just before setting up his tank, wasn't too long ago, but what a tank a few months later

Ken

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 04-28-2011, 08:56 PM

GMGQ is on a distinguished road

The fact that he wasnt 'bright' enough to change his story the second time 'round, probably means he didnt even know How to make it up. So definitely a noobie who's not ready for livestock yet.

I definitely would appreciate that kind of honesty from the LFS.

Kudos +1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCoralEdmonton View Post
Good on you for not taking our advice the wrong way, unfortunately I think my customer was a different person, As he had a 35 gallon tank with only 5 lbs of rock, and only had been running 2 weeks, without testing, wanted to buy livestock.... I, like Lyndsy said to wait, test and more importantly get more rock.

Its unfortunate that people dont take the time to set up properly, as we all know this is where the myth, and I stress myth, that saltwater aquariums are so hard to take care of, with the proper patience and budget, our hobby is quite easy to care for.

Again Good on you Blue World Aquarium staff for great ethics in this business!!!

Steve

2016/2017 180Gallon Build Coming Soon...
Old 04-28-2011, 10:38 PM

Flash is on a distinguished road

i don't think it was the same guy, but i believe the young man you're speaking of came in as well last night. Nice guy! I told him about canreef and said this was the place to read up and search if he has any questions!
Anyway I will always voice my opinion...especially when it comes to the health and welfare of the livestock in the store. i also won't sell you a sick fish, or something that's going to destroy your beautiful corals, just because it looks pretty! I was blessed with common sense (except when it comes to turning off the hose in the back room...and flooding the store.. that escapes me every time)

Thank you all for your support... I love this community and share the same passion for the hobby as all of you! I am always learning and if I don't know the answer... I'll do my best to find out!

Fb- edmonton fish coral and hardware buy and sell!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:51 PM

Ross is on a distinguished road

To me, it sounds like 2 different stores that need to stock raw shrimp...

Seriously though, its good to see stores not putting the buck first.
2 down, 6.5 billion to go.
67 Gallon Mixed Reef, Modular LED Lights

Send in the Clowns - Clown Fish Breeding
5 Gallon Fry Hatchery and 15 Gallon Clown Grow Out Tank
Old 04-28-2011, 11:00 PM

Thank you all for your support... I love this community and share the same passion for the hobby as all of you! I am always learning and if I don't know the answer... I'll do my best to find out![/quote]

Well said 'bean'. That is one thing to say about this 'community' aka Canreef, the majority of the members are all very helpful and will gladly share an idea or take the time to help a fellow member out!!! It's like a community all of our own for other members/hobbyists to encourage, befriend and have the odd breakfast/lunch with. Thank you for letting US be part of this.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:37 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreen View Post
, the majority of the members are all very helpful and will gladly share an idea or take the time to help a fellow member out!!
not ME

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 04-29-2011, 02:39 AM

That's why I said "the majority" Grizz lol
Old 04-29-2011, 02:50 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreen View Post
That's why I said "the majority" Grizz lol
I have been told that I am to nice a got screwed over because of it, so I am a little bit gun shy. But I still help out with references

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build