Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 03-18-2010, 06:06 AM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
You will always get some bubbles, in the seams. My tank, from Elite, has some... As long as the seams are strong, no worries. When they delivered mine, there was also some damage (can't say it was there in the store or from delivery), but it was the back corner. It was chipped away, not enough to be a structural problem. I just put some crazy glue on it to clean it up some. It has been almost 2 years with no issues.

I think all tank builders have their pros and cons, and everyone can probably say something negative about all. Best bet is to do your research see some examples and make your selection from there.
+1

All tanks get bubbles, in the seams. All tank builders have pro's and cons, as do the stock they hold and their prices.

Eight months back I got my 230 tank, starfire glass around built by Gold's, it was Gary that built. Best tank I've ever owned and the best price. I shopped around to ever builders mentioned before I decided. Gold's built the tank and sump exactly how I wanted with no extra cost. Nice work too. I even got all the edges smoothed. Since I got a good deal though, I picked it up. Met the guys in Golds parking lot. Now, when people come over, I get asked about who built it all the time. Dennis is awesome at Gold's. If he gets to know you, then you can pre-order what ever you want and is very knowledgeable. If its not right, he will make it right. He's proved that to me time and again. He even makes sure his stock is healthy and eating before he lets it go. I think that shows care right there for customer service. IMO, I think he has the best price in town as a builder, stock and supplies. However if he has another builder, than I can't say if the tank style changed or how good the work is.

Hope that helps.

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Last edited by bulletsworld; 03-18-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:20 AM

T Dawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolf View Post
The tank builders have been mentioned, so I have no names to add. I did, however, stop by Elite a few days back. I had a few minutes and was driving by- so I thought I would look at the livestock. Instead I spent the whole visit drooling over the tanks that were sitting on the floor. The attention to detail, the beveling of the surfaces and yes, the one piece euro braces were amazing. The other shops mentioned do fine work as well and I would not hesitate to buy a tank from most small shops as the owners will do what is necessary to make you happy. Having said that, some of the features that I saw on those tanks are not (as far as I know) available from other builders and it is actually worth stopping in just to see them and look at the features.
Please buy the square one so it is safe for me to go back in there. Bow Valley on the avoid list for the same reason.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:12 PM

Namnuta is on a distinguished road

Jays tanks at Elite are impressive. The care to detail is second to none IMO.

I have a tank i bought from riverfront, but was built by Bow Valley im quite sure, and i would never buy from either again.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:01 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragzilla View Post
That's nice Gary was at my house 2 weeks ago - lol
That's nice, Gary was at my house yesterday but he doesn't build tanks and isn't the same Gary that you are talking about

Sorry, just wanted to join in on the "that's nice" about Gary. Seemed fun ahah.

Lets get Gary on here.. but which Gary?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:21 PM

Rahim101 is on a distinguished road

Gary Leu use to build tanks for Golds.
not sure if he still does.
I've know Gary since way back when he use to build tanks for Capital Aquarium (I use to work there....LOL) that goes back to 1992
Old 04-14-2010, 10:11 PM

monza is on a distinguished road

CNC euro brace.... how does that work? Can't even think your talking the brace and side glass are one piece of glass? That would be a huge hunk of glass and yea bling bling $$.
ANy pics?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:17 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tank Builders Calgary

No, the top and sides are not one piece. Just the eurobrace itself (on top) is one solid piece instead of 4 individual pieces.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 PM

monza is on a distinguished road

Thanks, makes perfect sense now. DUH.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:48 PM

earliris is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all that have replied.

Just received my new tank and sump on Tuesday! Looks amazing!

Purchased at Gold's and was in fact built by Gary. Gary is the man! Even though it took a month to build. It was well worth the wait given the end result. You can see that he really puts a lot of care into building a tank.

Thank you Gold's and thank you Gary!

Can't wait to have it all set up...
Old 04-15-2010, 03:20 AM

muck is on a distinguished road

Pics or it didn't happen.