Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-02-2013, 06:44 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Mine in Manitoba was fine after the softener fed the ro unit. One think I never knew back then was the well was high in alkalinity, and with no DI removing on my ro unit, it was messing with my tank.

My water changes went down with the rest of the water. I assume my and others softener dumps a lot more salt in the septic system than a water change. I guess like Grizz, one could pump it elsewhere to be on the safe side.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:19 PM

studsrsx is on a distinguished road

I too am in Manitoba, my water is over 800 ppm but have no troubles as long as it goes through a softener first. All my water goes straight down the drain.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:59 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Slickfork is correct it all depends on the well, our well before ours system is loaded with tannin. Thankfully we have a very large & expensive filtration system that really cleans the water up, out of the tap it's 8 ppm but I think I might get a small RO just for the tank. With very low ppm's out of the tap already my small RO system filters should last a little longer then normal city water.
Grizz, which filter system are you using?

Kinetico?

Old 12-04-2013, 11:35 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
Grizz, which filter system are you using?

Kinetico?
We have a commercial RO, very expensive unit.

main filter:

secondary carbon filter:

Well water holding tank & bleach container (right):

Cleaned ready to use water holding tank:

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 12-05-2013, 11:16 AM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Nice, your own chlorination too.

Thanks

Old 12-05-2013, 04:23 PM

Tracey2 is on a distinguished road

We are on well water, my RO has 2 prefilters, 1 carbon, 2 membranes and DI resin to get TDS to 0. Adding the second membrand really shortened the time it takes to produce water. I change the prefilters approx every 100g, carbon every 150-200g and DI resin every 800-1000g so yes I think this is alot more than people on city water. We are looking at putting an iron remover in our house.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:23 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
Just curious, if you're on a well I assume you're also on some sort of septic system. If you've got a large tank, how do you deal with the waste saltwater from a water change? One would think that over time the salt buildup could really mess with a septic field?
I was on city water but had a septic system, after 10 years of water changes and such it never caused any problems. and when we had the inspection done when we sold the house they guy said it was the cleanest system he had ever seen, so.... who knows if that is a worry?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
I was on city water but had a septic system, after 10 years of water changes and such it never caused any problems. and when we had the inspection done when we sold the house they guy said it was the cleanest system he had ever seen, so.... who knows if that is a worry?

Steve
Depends on what kind of septic system you have, if its a pump out or gravity feed to a field. If you have a pump that cuts in on your wet side at a certain level and pumps out the tank you will never have any issues but still need to double up on your bacteria additive to break down solids.

If you have a gravity feed out to a field like I do, you need to be very aware of what goes down the drain in the form of liquid. Even when we have a house full during the holidays I have to check the level on the wet side to make sure it does not get to high and go over the weir that separates the solid's from the wet side. So water changes for me are a bit more challenging.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
Old 12-06-2013, 02:50 AM

Also should mention that I checked up my TDS the other day with a brand new Milwaukee meter and it was a perfect ZERO!!

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
Old 12-06-2013, 04:27 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post

If you have a gravity feed out to a field like I do, you need to be very aware of what goes down the drain in the form of liquid. Even when we have a house full during the holidays I have to check the level on the wet side to make sure it does not get to high and go over the weir that separates the solid's from the wet side. So water changes for me are a bit more challenging.
I had a gravity to a leach field. my tank was two chambers but had a pipe that spilled from one to another. when we first moved into the house we had it cleaned and inspected and also had a particulate filter/strainer installed on the first chamber side of the pipe. this was so that when there was increased water usage it would not allow solids to pass to the second chamber.

how much water do you change at a time? it would take a heck of a lot of water at once to pass solids, unless it is a old system and some one built a bigger house than it was designed for.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.