Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Lower Mainland

Old 08-06-2009, 10:05 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Sorry for your loss. It's not the preferred way to get back into a hobby.

I second the suggestion of a standard tank. It will save you alot in the long run and there are several 36" long sizes that might work for you. Lot's of good deals on used tanks to right now too.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:19 PM

LostMind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LostMind

Anyone know if you can get these with the overflow on the other side?

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...w-overflow.htm

The 65 gallon is a decent fit into my space but the overflow is on the wrong side for me...
Old 08-07-2009, 01:38 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMind View Post
About standard tank sizes, I never really thought of that. LOL. I'll have to shoot off a few emails today to see if I can find some standard size, reef ready tanks...
I'm not sure I've ever seen any 36" reef ready tanks. However, I see that Bulk Reef Supply is now selling nice black acrylic overflows. Cut to length, and silicone it in. Then drill the back or bottom of the tank. BRS also sells cheap good-for-5ish-holes glass drill bits too.

Speaking of overflows, do a Google search on "Herbie reef overflow". It's a "new" style of overflow that is honestly silent. You will need a gate valve for the Herbie (also found for an unbeatable price at BRS), don't cheap out and try a ball valve.

PS I'm an idiot, you're looking for a reef ready, of course you have a sump. *smacks forehead*

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:13 AM

Thanks Myka, I found a RC thread about them. Will have to look into it! The durso style worked but needed weekly attention to get them back to near silence.

BRS seems like a good place too, never heard of them!
Old 08-07-2009, 01:44 PM

I know lots of people using Herbie overflows. I put my first one on my 90, but I haven't got the sump going yet. I'm excited to try it out.

BRS is awesome. Many of their prices work out to J&L prices once you add shipping and exchange onto it, but they carry plumbing pieces that are hard to find elsewhere. Like unions, gate valves (J&L can't touch the price on these), different types of bulkheads, black egg crate, now the cool acrylic overflows.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:13 PM

now I'm reading about dosing 2 part instead of calcium reactors and kalk.... people feeding vodka to their tanks...
Old 08-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I'd definitely recommend the two (three) part dosing. I have mine set up with an aquatronica dosing pump (hooked up to an aquatronica controller, its not a stand alone doser). I ran a calcium reactor for years and in the last while was unable to maintain magnesium levels even though I was running zeomag (a zeo supplement of magnesium granules that dissolve in your calcium reactor over time with your calcium). While the initial price is a bit steep (then again so is a reactor if you don't have one already) I feel that dosing does a much better job of maintaining my mg, ca and alk.

LOL, theres lots to catch up on eh?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:13 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

I tried a durso on my single bulkhead but could not get it quiet. I made a pseudo Herbie as below and it is virtually silent. if you end up with a tank that has a single bulkhead this is how I would do it. Two or more bulkeads is optimal and is how I would do it if I could start over.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
LOL, theres lots to catch up on eh?
yes, yes indeed.

I'm going to take my time and do my research so I don't buy something and find later I've wasted my money
Old 08-08-2009, 02:27 AM

I just noticed your post on the Aqueon (AGA) tanks. It looks like they aren't making their regular overflows anymore, just the megaflows. That's too bad because the megaflows take up too much space. Personally, I like corner overflows...besides there's no reason for 600 gph through a 65 gallon tank's sump! Not unless you have a megasump too!! LOL

I vote for dosing pump instead of calcium reactor too. Also, since you're interested in SPS, take a peek at the ZEOvit system. A bit pricey to start up, but not bad once you get going. It won't be overly pricey on a smaller tank like a 65 either.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 08-08-2009 at 02:30 AM.