Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-31-2010, 06:56 PM

freerider is on a distinguished road
Default About the throw in the towl

Hey Everyone, just gonna get right into my problem, i have a insane cyno bacteria problem and ive tried everything, i do a 25% water change every week with good R/O water from LFS, ive added another koralia (could mabye add another) i only have 3 fish now, and i feed once a day, so i know its not a over feeding problem. ive started with chemiclean and it seemed to have worked, but3 days after the cleanup, another out break. ive read that old lights tend to cause to much red light so i changed every bulb in my light just last week. my corals are dieing, by Anemone died and i dont know why, water tests perfect for everything. I havent seen my cleaner shrimp in a couple days so as you can see im about to send my fish(which are doing prefectly fine) to my moms tank and trashing mine becuase i just cant seem to get ahead, the tank has been running for about 2 years now, have a fluval 304 which i clean out once a month, got a reef octo bh1000 skimmer and 2 koralia powerheads. if anyone has any advice that would be awsome, im thinking mabye just chucking out the rock and sand and starting from scratch.let me know
Travis
Thanks
Old 08-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

What do you run inside that filter?

What are your actual params?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:03 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
What do you run inside that filter?

What are your actual params?
+1 And I would consider ditching the fluvial.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

Canister filters are breeding ground for Bacteria because of all the Nitrates it can hold.

Also changing the lights may add to your problem too, new lights still require a short break in time.

If you have an outbreak of algae it usually indicates that there is a source of nitrates or phosphates. Often this is caused by over feeding. However, there could be many other sources. Look for dirt traps in the filtration system, low grades of carbon in use, and the foods your using.

Don't assume that because your readings for nitrate and/or phosphate are low that you do not have a problem. Often algaes can absorb these quickly, so the water reads good and the algae grow well.

Chemiclean is used only as a last resort. regular water changes, less light, more water flow, and siphoning out the cyno would help.

Here is a link that might help http://other-invertebrates.suite101...._cyanobacteria

Ken - BWA

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook

Last edited by BlueWorldAquatic; 08-31-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

+2 drop the fluval. you can syphon out a bit at a time but it takes time to go away i would consider running some carbon or a uv sterilizer. if your going to remove your fish and corals it leaves you a good oppurtunity to do a very large water change,cut your lights, move around rock as the problem you have you may not see because your looking at the whole picture.are you running a sump??? like someone said post your exact tank details right from parameters to livestock to when they were added and any meds or additives you have used. you said you get your water from an lfs is this store trusted?? hope this helps some times its hard trying to find the cause of problems when our water checks perfect
Old 08-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

Don't assume any RO from a store is good. If the filters are not changed at regular basis, the water is not any better than tap water.

Also how you prep your food can be a problem also, do you use tank water to thaw it out? do you rinse the food? etc...

Ken

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 PM

Captainhemo is on a distinguished road

If you are removing your fish etc, try this:http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s..._ID=ulf-slimer
I used it years ago and it actually worked, follow directions .
Also, get rid of the fluval or at least the sponges, use the rest for carbon etc
Old 08-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Vendor

Red Coral Aquariums is on a distinguished road

freerider pop into the new Red Coral store opening on Saturday Sept. 04 and we can go over some options. I will be there all day.

Kevin
Old 08-31-2010, 11:07 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I'll add another vote to ditching the cannister. Try a 3 day blackout... no lights at all and then actinics only on the 4th back to regular lighting on the 5th.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:31 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

I had a mass break out when I first started with a 65gal and a canister filter. I had to clean out the filter weekly, used a high quality carbon and a phos remover. I then started Coral Snow and a UV and with in a week I noticed a big reduction of ALL algea. Just my 2 cents.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build

Last edited by The Grizz; 09-03-2010 at 01:32 AM.