Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 03-26-2012, 04:10 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road
Default Aquarium Repair and Modifications in Calgary

Hi Folks

I'm a new to the forum and new to reefing (have a 10 gallon in the works). I've done a quick search and couldn't find my specific questions answered . . . so here goes.

I have a glass 150 gallon long aquarium. I don't have the history on it, it simply showed up in my living room one day while I was at work. It looks like it has seen better days: I'm not even willing to test it for leaks in the house.

I'm thinking that I would just like to drag it over to someone who can tear it down and put it back together.

I would also like to divide it, I think. Maybe into a 100 gal display tank and a 50 gal sump/fuge . . . or maybe three 50 gal tanks (display, sump/fuge, and quarantine) . . . or ???

I was also thinking that maybe I would just like to have it cut down to a 100 gal (can anyone in town actually cut tempered glass?).

I'm so undecided. I could really use some recommendations.

I would hate to send all of that glass to the dump: though there are some chips and scratches in it (chips could be hidden/resolved by flipping the panels horizontally, I think). I'm very much into repairing/modifying things.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:45 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

I am not sure of any aquarium repair people in Calgary. You may try someone like Speedy Auto glass or Apple Auto glass, most of them do residential glass as well.

Be sure to get a quote on the work as labour and materials to break it down and rebuild it will likely be greater than buying a new tank from the LFS.

Tom R
Old 03-26-2012, 04:47 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Speedy or Apple will look at you and say " you want us to do WHAT??!! "

Sounds like you are better off to ditch it and start with a better tank.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 03-26-2012, 04:51 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Unless you can do what you want yourself it will not save you any money.
Call Dave @ Concept for a new tank and save yourself the headache.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
I am not sure of any aquarium repair people in Calgary. You may try someone like Speedy Auto glass or Apple Auto glass, most of them do residential glass as well.

Be sure to get a quote on the work as labour and materials to break it down and rebuild it will likely be greater than buying a new tank from the LFS.

Tom R
Thanks for the suggestions, Tom.

Hubby built a model train coffee table a couple years ago, and we weren't able to find anyone at the time who could cut the tempered glass the display case required. The tempered glass for his table was ordered in the sizes he required, and he then pieced them together. Based on what he paid for that glass, we figure the retail value of the glass in this tank would be over $1000 (though it clearly isn't worth that, in the condition it is in).

It never occurred to us to check with aquarium builders/repair shops at the time to see if they could cut and/or supply the pieces he required.

In the event the repairs/modifications were to exceed the costs of a new tank from one of the LFS, I'd buy the new tank. While reducing/reusing/recycling is all good . . . my wallet takes generally takes presidence.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:59 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
^ +1

Also FWIW, in answer to your other question, tempered glass would not be able to be cut. Once it's tempered that's pretty much it. When you see a drilled tempered panel, it was drilled first then tempered (at least that's how I understand it).

Actually at the best of times it seems rather difficult to cut used glass clean and straight. There is a sweet spot of age for glass where it's easy to cut. After holding back water and having silicone on it and stuff, it tends to behave in more unpredictable ways.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Speedy or Apple will look at you and say " you want us to do WHAT??!! "

Sounds like you are better off to ditch it and start with a better tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
Thanks, guys.

Hubby did say he would attempt to do it himself. If the professional repair and modifications would cost more than a new tank, we've really got nothing to loose by attempting it ourselves (and testing it outside, when things warm up a bit). This one would never be as good as new, simply due to the scratches.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
^ +1

Also FWIW, in answer to your other question, tempered glass would not be able to be cut. Once it's tempered that's pretty much it. When you see a drilled tempered panel, it was drilled first then tempered (at least that's how I understand it).

Actually at the best of times it seems rather difficult to cut used glass clean and straight. There is a sweet spot of age for glass where it's easy to cut. After holding back water and having silicone on it and stuff, it tends to behave in more unpredictable ways.
Wow! Great information. Thank you. We had no idea glass was tempered after being cut. That was a huge source of confusion for us.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Welcome to Canreef, BTW
Old 03-26-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Welcome to Canreef, BTW
Thank you

I don't normally jump in that aggressively (without an intro or anything). But, I'm on a mission.